Find
Notify
Tools

Trekking Ladles
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, it depends on your territory. Pre-cast lead ball was shipped in small kegs by the ton to feed the fur trade around the Great Lakes--usually to go along with all the Northwest Guns they sold to the natives. Another retailing success, no doubt, and a work-saver for the customers. Longrifle makers, we know, and probably the plains-rifle makers, too, did provide a mould with each gun, and bar lead of some kind certainly was used in some parts of the continent, but not all.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I thought it said "trekking ladies", too, until I got in and read the first post. Should've seen my face the first time I saw "postal shoots". Big Grin

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I never thought of reusing pulled ball before I read rb's post. Makes sense. I've always thrown them back in the lead pot. I know better, now.

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick:
Interestingly, it depends on your territory. Pre-cast lead ball was shipped in small kegs by the ton to feed the fur trade around the Great Lakes--usually to go along with all the Northwest Guns they sold to the natives. Another retailing success, no doubt, and a work-saver for the customers. Longrifle makers, we know, and probably the plains-rifle makers, too, did provide a mould with each gun, and bar lead of some kind certainly was used in some parts of the continent, but not all.

Dick

That is so true, and the reason for it was both economic and strategic. Sell cast ball for more money that the same weight in bar lead, and be able to cut off the source of ammunition in case the tradeing partners of today become your enemy the day after......

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Montour:
...be able to cut off the source of ammunition in case the tradeing partners of today become your enemy the day after......

Montour,
That's probably correct, but I have done a fair amount of research into the British fur trade, but apparently haven't delved deeply enough to find any references to such strategic planning--along with the idea that selling light-weight trade guns instead of more sturdy weapons was a strategic thing, too. I'd like to hear or see some sources for that strategy. From what I know and have read, the natives mostly didn't like the heavy, clunky military firearms and requested the lighter guns. But I haven't looked specifically for references on that subject.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
I will have to find it myself Confused But it is in correspondence just after the F&I period, can not remember if its Johnson or Bouquet papers

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
You know, if someone wants to start a thread on "Trekking Ladies" have at it. I'm sure there will be lots of discussion! Big Grin

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
http://cdm16602.contentdm.oclc...on/Calk2/id/23/rec/4

Real 18th Century KENTUCKY! lead ladle......

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Night Owl:
You know, if someone wants to start a thread on "Trekking Ladies" have at it. I'm sure there will be lots of discussion! Big Grin

I'm ready to join in as long as someone else initiates it. Cool

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Getting back to ladles, I have one with a pour spout on either side. It's large enough to cast a few ball before refilling. The handle is long and flat but could easily be cut off and reattached so it will easily fold and open/lock. Let me see if I can find a pic to post.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Here it is. Had it for going on 25 years.