New
Find
Notify
Tools

The humble .36
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I have two 36 cap guns. A seneca that I got for my wife back in the 80's.
A TVM Virgina rifle. I really like to shoot the seneca as it is light and somewhat short. It shoots extremely well at 25 yards does minute of rabbit for me at 50. I only started shooting this rifle after my wife died in 96, it was exclusively hers up to that time. I wasn't a fan of the little guns til I shot it several times. Haven't hunted with it yet but Im hoping to go after rabbits when it cools down some more here. South west Az. I dot to drive 180 miles to hunt squirrels so I don't know how that's going to work out.
The tvm is only a little over a year old for me now. It shoots a little better than the seneca and balances ok for me. I'll try the same thing with it as the seneca then we'll see if we can pick a favorite. 25 grns 3f and a .350prb seems to work equally well for both.

Anyone wlse like the thirty sixes?

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good evening Kelly. While I do not have the .36, I do posses a seneca with barrels in .32, .45. And a relined one in .40. I enjoy the seneca .32 very much for squirrels and other small game. It is a great little rifle.

I am planning some target shooting with the .40 and plan to work out a good load with the .45 also.

DanL

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've only had one .36 that I got long ago and still have. It's my favorite small game and plinking rifle. Built by TVM, it's a flintlock SMR with a 38" barrel at a sweet 6 lbs-4 oz. I like the .32 a lot and my favorite was a Traditions Crockett I hunted with for years. Several years ago I got a .32 SMR with a swamped 38" tube and a flint lock. It comes in at a svelte 6 lbs & 10 oz. It shoots one hole 25 yard groups with 20 grns of Swiss 3F. Both get loaded with a .350" and .311" balls respectively and a canvas patch, .023".

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I too like the .36, and I have one in Flint, and two in percussion. One of the percussion guns is a family heirloom from my GGG Grandfather vintage 1845. I prefer the flint gun as it seems to fit me better. I also shoot .32's, as I really like the small bores, and the hunting seasons for small game is much longer. I have1 flint .32 and 3 percussion guns. One is also a heirloom gun from 1842. I have a little CVA .32 with 24" barrel that is great for rabbit hunting in the thick brush. Small caliber black powder guns are a lot of fun, and cheap to shoot. Heck, one of my .32 uses 10 grains of 3f for one hole groups at 25 yards from the bench. Only wish I could shoot that good in the field.

Posts: 20 | Location: SE CT | Registered: 27 March 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've got a flint .36 I built a couple years ago and it's probably my favorite rifle to shoot. With powder scarce and the light loads it may be my go to gun for the foreseeable future, too! Got a 48" Rayl barrel on it that's very skinny, smaller than an A weight from anybody else.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Just me perhaps, but I don't consider the .36 to be so "humble". It's capable of mild to very wild. The .32 also but the .36 is much more-so. It has a 3/4" straight barrel as did my older version Crockett. They are both cheap to feed which is more important now than a year ago.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post