New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder charge vs. velocity
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Can anyone with a chronograph, tell me what velocity, they get with a 1.5 times ball dia. load, in a .58 cal.,36 inch barrel. A ballpark figure is fine. Thanks
Earl

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Del, If I read you correctly, you want a 90 grain powder charge from a .58 shooting a patched round ball from a 36" barrel. Here's the goods on a 32" barrel using 90 grains of GOEX Ffg, 1022 feep per second. That comes from the Lyman Black Powdr Handbook. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Yep Mr. Nesbitt, just what I wanted. Thanks!
Care to take a guess what four more inches of barrel would put the velocity at?
Earl

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well you might get 1122, or you might get 922..., length of barrel sometimes give the shooter lower velocity than a shorter barrel. At a certain point, the friction of the barrel actually reduces muzzle velocity.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks LD, I'm thinkin' that it's subsonic, it doesn't have the "crack" associated with a supersonic bullet. Probably, I'm all wet, thinkin' that way. I was shootin' at about 900 feet above sea level.

<mtnmike>
posted
Saw the barrel off even with the stock.Might create a sonic BOOM. lol

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Del Gue:
1.5 times ball dia. load, in a .58 cal.,36 inch barrel. A ballpark figure is fine.
I have a .58cal Early Virginia with a Rice 38" barrel and I get 1450 fps with 120grns Goex 2F, 15' from the muzzle.
120grns Goex 2F
.62cal Oxyoke over powder wad
.024" Oxyoke prelubed patch
Hornady .570"/279grn ball

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks roundball
Earl

Factor
posted Hide Post
Del, I'm slowly building a Hawken in .58 caliber with a 36" barrel. If you're in no hurry I can tell you more after that gun is finished. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Take your time Mr. Nesbitt. I'm in no particular hurry.
Earl

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get 1450 fps with 120grns Goex 2F, 15' from the muzzle.

Roundball also sets grass on fire at the range when he does this. Eeker

LOL not really; Big Grin

I have no idea as I have not had the pleasure of being able to go shooting with him, but 120 grains is a pretty stout load.

It's tough to hear the "crack" when you are the shooter..., according to Dixon's book, you need to have a person stand off to the side from you(iirc) about 30 yards or so, to listen for the crack that indicates supersonic velocity.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
No...it doesn't "set the range on fire".
120grns is simply a good strong big game load in a big bore .58cal.
It gives a very good trajectory for shots at longer distance than normally found in thick woods hunting.
When hunting big game I don't use powder puff target loads better suited for range plinking.
And added benefit is the outcome is never in question and big game loads put big game down quickly.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roundball:
quote:
Originally posted by Del Gue:
1.5 times ball dia. load, in a .58 cal.,36 inch barrel. A ballpark figure is fine.
I have a .58cal Early Virginia with a Rice 38" barrel and I get 1450 fps with 120grns Goex 2F, 15' from the muzzle.
120grns Goex 2F
.62cal Oxyoke over powder wad
.024" Oxyoke prelubed patch
Hornady .570"/279grn ball

I'll bet ye also get a substantial thump on the shoulder.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Glad you put that 'twin kill' back up there, RB; I'd missed seeing it. Was thinking about it the other day.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks:
Glad you put that 'twin kill' back up there, RB; I'd missed seeing it. Was thinking about it the other day.
Fiddlesticks

Yes, what a wonderful way to christen a brand new first time longrifle on an opening day hunt...the deer gods were definitely smiling...LOL.

To the other poster:
No...no "thump on the shoulder"...same thing using 120grns out of a .62cal.
Recoil only seems to be bothersome to a few people if their gun doesn't fit, or if they're holding it improperly, or if they're small sized men or women.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
90grns is my target load. Missouri's alternative methods season opens up the fifteenth of Dec. I'll be loading 110-120grns. Couple of weeks ago, shooting with some friends, I was shooting 110grns. Wearing only a t-shirt, after 25 shots, I'd had enough. Not sayin' I'm a wus', but I do play with Barbie dolls. I'm about 6'1", 230 lbs. Oh, and before any of y'all get any funny ideas, yes I was wearing trousers. Only on rare occasions, will I be caught shootin' nekkid.
Earl

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
what would 120 of 2f be equal to in 3 f?

plenty of time for sleep in the grave

Posts: 105 | Location: northern vermont | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't know about chronograph but velocity and accuracy don't always see eye to eye. My rifle (.50 flint Lancaster with a 44" Coleraine barrel) drives tacks with a modest load of 65 grains of 3f. I've killed deer from 20 to 90 yards with it.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post