Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Brooks .40 cal
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted
My Mike Brooks .40 cal finally came in an thought Id give ya a peek. Barrel is a Burton 38 inch A weight .40 cal that he coned when he made the barrel. The lock is a Chambers round faced english built an tuned by LC Rice. The stock is a piece of black walnut cut an dried several yrs back by Curt Lyles. The mounts is from Track an the side plate an nosecap is made by Mike. She weighs 7 lbs an is slim trim an feels good in the hand. The front sight is a 1962 silver quarter which is my birth yr. Mike was a pleasure to deal with an was very helpful with any questions no matter how dumb that I asked. Hope ya like her.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Wow. Definitely a beauty. I like the idea for your front sight.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
That is a lovely rifle and looks well at home in the woods. I also think you have the perfect horn to go with it. Did you make that or find a good horner? The sling for the rifle looks like one by CJ Wilde... is it? I have several pieces of her work, on my horn and bag and a sash that I wear when dressed out.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the nice words. Mountainranger thats a Scott Sibley southern horn. And your spot on with the sling by Ed Wilde. The bag is a goatskin bag made by Curt Lyles.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good looking setup did you get to shoot it yet? Today would be a good one had my 40 cal JP Beck out today. To bad you can't use BP rifles for turkeys in Al.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
If you ever get tired of it...well, you know.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah,it's a beaut...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Does it have flip up rear sights?

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Nope just stationary.The back sight came from Track

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful!!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Mike sure does beautiful work! Hope to see some pictures of her along with some squirrels!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
OK Wattle... go ahead and break in that rifle and kit. We decided. We're going to have you and yer take for Thanksgiving supper, then let yer rifle be a prize in an all-forum shootin' match. LOL

Everyone loves it my friend.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Count me in on that MR!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see a rifle\gun built by Mike Brooks that I don't like! You got yourself a dandy there wattlebuster! And a very "rare" rifle by Mike as well! You have very good taste in fine arms sir!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful! Enjoy.
Best regards. RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Beautiful...I'm green with envy Big Grin

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Lucky you!, Mike is awesome

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I also enjoyed seeing pictures of your rifle and gear on Art & Jan Riser's Blog spot this morning! http://contemporarymakers.blog...with-curt-lyles.html

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've killed a few deer here with a .395 round ball over 60 grains of 3f. It will absolutely put deer in the truck, just wait for the perfect shot at 75 yards or less in my opinion. 30 grains of 3f worked well for squirrels too.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post