New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-Dixie, Kirkland rifle
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Came up with a pre Dixie Gun Work rifle today marked Turner Turner Kirkland Union City, Tenn that I am making available that should make a good squirrel rifle. 50's-60's era and "looks" unfired. 15/16 X 42 barrel in .36 caliber (percussion) full stock with brass hardware, including capbox, and silver wrist escutcheon. Blueing is 100%, stock shows handling marks on finish but no breaks, chips or cracks. Muzzle is decorated, lock and tang are color case hardened. Single trigger and lock work perfectly. NO ITALIAN MARKINGS. I "think" the barrel and lock may have been made by Royland Southgate. Can send pictures on request. Going to ask $500 and shipping.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the rifle they marketed as the "New Dixie Squirrel Rifle." Does it have a patent breech? I'm pretty sure the original Dixie rifle did. If memory serves, I believe these were in .40 caliber. Are your sure yours is a .36? I seem to recall they were made in Belgium. There should be proof marks on it somewhere.

I think this was one of the first, or possibly the first, production muzzleloader based on a non-military long arm. It is a historic rifle in its own right.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I haven't pulled the barrel to see if there is anything under the stock but besides the name and the running fox on the lockplate, that's it. I may pull the barrel this weekend. If it is a patent breach it's the best fit I've ever seen and I'm pretty certain it is in .36 caliber. Stand by for chapter two.

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I remember these early rifles because many were in .40 and that caliber was quite popular back then. It's only been in the last few years that interest in the .40 has started up again. I recall in the very early Dixie catalogs that they were touted as good deer killers. This information helped convince me that the .45 (not as common as nowadays) was a big bore blaster. How times do change.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting .40's for 25 years or more even my table guns are in .40. I October I shot a 10 shot 3.32" string with a GM drop in .40 barrel on a TC stock and action. The purposed table gun I just finished has an Ed Rayl .40 barrel with 1-56 ROT and 8 groove rifling. I'm comvinced.
Mark

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Notchy Bob,
Boy am I embarassed, thank you for making me do my homework. I pulled the barrel this evening and lo and behold found out this is an imported rifle. The proof marks ar a crown over R, a crown over P and the #102. There is also an elaborate E intertwined with an L. I did try a .395 ball with a heavy .015/.016 patch and was able to start it so it is a .40 caliber. I believe those proofs are Belgian. I still believe it is an early rifle with the barrel markings that are in place and it does appear to be unfired.
Mark

Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Papa,

No need to be embarrassed... We are all in this together.

The NRA has provided us with a document showing international proofmarks: Proofmarks. Your excellent description of the proofmarks you found compare well with some of the Belgian marks in the document. Let us know if they match up!

It sounds as if you have a nice old rifle in great condition. I'm curious... What is the length of pull?

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Notchy Bob,
Thanks for the site information. The proof marks match the Belgian proofs of 1852, Liege. Don't know if the #102 is serial # or assembly # as it is only in one place, perhaps inspecter identification. The LOP is right at 14". Will it fit you? As said, It is available and will be going to a local show today and, if still available, will be going to our Ohio Longrifle Collectors show in Marietta the 5-6 of April. I'm more into the Ohio made originals.
Mark