New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd looking buttstock
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Pretty radical change in wood color in this buttstock. It's not a repair. Anyone dealt with similar?

Posts: 16 | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Seems like it might be walnut, kinda hard to tell. Walnut can trend to that color in the same board. Never saw it in a buttstock before. Kinda pretty. Saw a lot of it in our sawmill back in the day.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 36 that has two shades like what is shown in your photo. The left side of the buttstock is your typical walnut brown....and the right side is almost blonde.
The colors and contrast are very similar to yours.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Years ago I refinished an old 70's vintage T/C Hawken (walnut) stock that had a lot of color change in its length:

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
This is on a musket, Indian made, and it's teak. The gun needs some sanding and some more finish work so I might try to stain it darker if I can get it take the stain. If not - it'll be a bit unique.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
To each their own of course...me personally, I wouldn't want to cover it up darker as the color in your photo gives the gun unique character...but that's just me

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
I agree with roundball, it adds character. Personally I like the looks of it, but again, it's up to you.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
If you look at the other side of the stock it has long straight lines in the wood.Now look at the other side see how it gets rounder to a point of the but of stock then gets lighter then dark again.Thats where a limb of the tree was ,its called bark wood I think. Dont think it will take stain ,but sure looks cool huh. Keep Your Powder Dry

Posts: 34 | Registered: 24 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
English walnut?

Posts: 100 | Location: Minn | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I think it's attractive and wouldn't want it darker. Just MHO.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
It is sapwood from the outermost layer of the tree can be dyed to match with a little efort and a couple or more applications. Woodman

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My wife's TC Hawken rifle is dark brown on one side and light brown on the other side. She didn't care for it but it is the natural color of the wood, so be it. If it really bothers you, you might want to sand it down and stain the light part and then refinish. Personally, I wouldn't bother, its the natural color of the wood, so what?

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
yep , just what woodsman said .
but personaly i woudl also leave it be or only make it alittle darker

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It is where the sapwood and hardwood meet. If you are going to refinish anyway, try some reddish brown leather dye. Dilute it so that the toe doesn't end up darker than the rest and use an artist brush to apply enough coats until it matches.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of MedicineSoldier
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the India muskets (Bess & Matchlock) which had variations in the stock colors. The variations were spread out over different areas and not as large as yours in any one spot. The attached picture is an example of the Bess which had the most.

I did a makeover on both to slim the stocks and clean up the furniture so I re-stained the stocks as well. I started with a walnut toned filler/stain followed by additional dark stain. Since I wanted a dark color on them this worked out well.

If you like the light/dark color variation there is certainly no reason the change it. Had I not felt the need to redo the muskets overall I may not have bothered to re-stain.

Medicine Soldier

Bess

Posts: 219 | Location: Black Hills of SD | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I agree it does add character, I'v seen a 98 mauser with this and English Walnut stocks just make the finish the inletting just pop.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 03 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete G:
It is where the sapwood and hardwood meet. If you are going to refinish anyway, try some reddish brown leather dye. Dilute it so that the toe doesn't end up darker than the rest and use an artist brush to apply enough coats until it matches.

I agree with using leather dye vice stain made for wood. The teak (?) does not take wood stains well. The wood seems oily. A friend suggested soaking the stock with mineral spirits for a couple of days then using stains.

Posts: 6 | Location: Brunswick County, NC | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post