MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    What is your load for a .54 rifle?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your load for a .54 rifle?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree with the rest of you. Mountaineer ought to try a .530 ball. I've tried .535 in several LGP rifles, a number of different TC rifles and my Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle.

Pedersoli goes as far as recommending the .535 ball but what a fight. Why bother? Use the .530 ball and enjoy shooting. I still use a short starter while using .530 balls but at lest they go down without a struggle.

I've also used .526 balls with no difference in accuracy. I prefer the .530 ball I my LGP rifle I use for hunting and my son uses the same in his TC Renegade.

I have a Sharon Gun Barrel 54 Hawken rifle that I've used both the .530 and .526 balls in. When using the .526 balls in it though, I use 0.020" thick patches rather than the 0.015" thick patches I use with the .530 balls.

The Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle presented a different problem. After sighting it in using .530 balls, I was hunting and after shooting at a deer, had to reload. I couldn't get the second .530 ball down the bore with the patch. I ended up loading it without a patch to continue the hunt.

From that time on, I've loaded that rifle with a .530 ball for that first shot and filled my reloading ball block with .526 balls. This rifle, much different from the Sharon, I continue to use 0.015" patches regardless of what size ball I'm using.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
When hunting, I use BB (Natural Lube 1000) for the first load as does White Finger; and for the same reasons. After that first shot I use Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube. My .54 has somewhat shallower grooves (about .006") than my other rifles but easily accepts a .530" ball and .015" patch even in a fouled bore.

Two of my rifles have .016" grooves (radius grooved) while the rest are around .012". They all are capable of fine accuracy with a ball .010" under bore dia. I've even fired ball .005" under with no problems loading. For this reason I use patches of .024" with both sizes but not in the .54.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi; isn't Hoppes #9 BP a solvent rather than a lube? Leaving a ball wrapped in that ass day apparently doesn't induce rust but I'd sure be skeptical. It would sure allow that follow up batched ball to load a lot easier.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My Hawk built Jaeger has a Montana 1:72" twist barrel. In truth I have never worked up a load to find the sweet spot. At 90 grains both the recoil and pain from cost of bp start to hurt to much to bear. I used a .530 ball and ticking patch with a whale oil/peanut oil lube. I'm sure the sweet spot is somewhere around a 120 grain charge of bp. I speak in past tense because after a rotator cuff tear I can no longer hold the rifle to shoot. Retired safe queen.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rifleman1776; that 90 gr of 2Fg behind that .530" patched round ball in that 1 in 72 twist barrel just might be the sweet spot. It sure is in my Sharon Hawken that also has a 1 in 72 twist.

Load fast and aim slow.

Greenhorn
Picture of 71Eagle
posted Hide Post
Custom Hawken with a 34" Douglas XX barrel. At 100yds, 110grs 2F with a 6 o'clock hold and it'll be in the black.

Posts: 12 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Custom "ole english" flintlock, Colerain barrel .54. 34" like 85grs, FFG out to 200yrds. .530 or .526 rb..the same load in my TC Hawkin percussion same distance...also used 85 for hunting elk load....oh and .015 patch, lubed with bear grease and beeswax!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Finger:
Hanshi; isn't Hoppes #9 BP a solvent rather than a lube? Leaving a ball wrapped in that ass day apparently doesn't induce rust but I'd sure be skeptical. It would sure allow that follow up batched ball to load a lot easier.

Load fast and aim slow.

White Finger, Although I've used the Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube as a cleaner from time to time there are better cleaners for that purpose; DGW's "Black Solve" stands out and also makes a fine patch lube. Any of the "cleaner type" liquids make great lubes since they clean the bore with each loading; Hoppes is one of them. I would not leave a load in the gun that had the patch lubed with a liquid that contained even a trace of water. That's why I, as you mentioned, use Natural Lube 1000 for that first load. With Hoppes, especially, I wouldn't worry so much with rust as with the patch drying out; and it will if left in the barrel overnight. That's the only caution with most liquid lubes.

I'm about ready to order some Mink oil as I've heard so many good things about it. I'm not actually a fan of Natural Lube 1000 but use it because it does work for that first load and I have some. By the way, where is a good place to order mink oil from? Where do the others buy theirs.

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:

I'm about ready to order some Mink oil as I've heard so many good things about it. I'm not actually a fan of Natural Lube 1000 but use it because it does work for that first load and I have some. By the way, where is a good place to order mink oil from? Where do the others buy theirs.

TOW makes it:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/....aspx/132/1/MINK-OIL

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Track of the wolf sells a mink oil patch lube that is very slick and makes a good hunting lube. Contrary to what I've been told repeated shots get harder to load with it, especially in my smoothbore. I really like bear grease, I use it for many things but my supply is dwindling and I haven't killed a bear so far this year. Rendered down beaver tail oil may be just as good. I don't like natural lube 1000 at all. Bear grease mixed with bees wax is a good hunting lube.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mink oil would be available at most shoe stores,and sporting goods stores as a leather conditioner.....good stuff for leather....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leonard:
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:

TOW makes it:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/....aspx/132/1/MINK-OIL

Much obliged, Leonard.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
The mink oil sold in the shoe store is not the same as the mink oil sold by TOTW.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Mink oil would be available at most shoe stores,and sporting goods stores as a leather conditioner.....good stuff for leather....

But is it the same stuff? Does it have other things in it for the leather?

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Load of elk

100 grains 2f, .18 pillow ticking patch lubed with TOW mink oil, .535 ball. 100 yards max if rested.

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmm,good point.Do you know for a fact that the two different mink oils are in fact a different formulation?Has anyone actually tried out the leather formula to see if it might work?

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
re; mink oil - I looked at a can of mink oil sold for shoe conditioning some time back and it contained silicone and other stuff that I didn't want to use as a bore lube, so I have stuck with the TOW mink oil, which is supposed to be pure.

Posts: 7 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: 25 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ahh,thank you for the info.TOW mink it is....

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Patch lube; If I'm shooting for any other reason other than hunting, I use saliva. While hunting I use Bore Butter. One never knows how long a hunting load will be in a barrel so the non liquid Bore butter will not rust the bore.

I do have one rifle that hates saliva and I have to use the green "Three Rivers" solvent when shooting that rifle. I don't use that particular rifle for hunting so that doesn't pose a problem.

I've always liked the free and simple use of saliva for a patch lube while shooting but hunting has different requirements that include protecting the bore from rust.

I have a definite preference for cleaning solvents also. Water with Ivory soap is my main stay. In a few cases, I've been known to also use Hoppe's Black Powder #9 solvent and the green "Three Rivers" solvent but warm water is my favorite and almost always used.

Load fast and aim slow.

Factor
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see someone mention the green "Three Rivers" stuff,as it seems to be almost universally used in these parts....