New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning rods
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
For those that have guns with barrels 46'' long what do you use for cleaning rods ? My brass rods are ok on the 42" guns but have to use the loading rod to clean my 46" barrel.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Somebody, maybe Log Cabin, used to sell extensions of 8 or 10", threaded 8-32 or 10-32, male on one end, female other.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a 3 piece cleaning rod that I use on my short barrels, I got on Midway and they had one in stock so I will put the 2 together and that should work. Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.
SC thanks

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Go to a metal shop and buy a section of brass rod,pipe ,they can cut one to the length you need.I use aluminum tubing threaded inside,Thread it and your good to go.. OH and the Dog is much happier the later you get home,,unlike the wife!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
WC lol that's the truth.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I get a stock length ramrod from Track of The Wolf. Then I fix a ramrod adapter to the tip, but I put the female end intended for a shotgun brush on the rod, and use the male end that's threaded 10 x 32 to hold a Worm ...since my 46" barrel is a LLP Bess this works well. The other end I simply bore a slot through so it's like the eye of a needle, and that works for the other guns.

That way I only use the actual ramrod for loading in the field.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
I use 48" wooden rods from Track. I prefer to install the threaded tips myself, but you can get them with the tips already in place.

I think Cain Outdoors sells a whole series of synthetic range rods with threaded tips and matching components. I don't own one, but I understand they are pretty good.

I bought a fancy aluminum rod with a muzzle protector and proprietary threaded tips from a different vendor who will remain nameless (not one I've seen mentioned on this board), but the rod was poorly packaged and arrived bent, and the threaded parts didn't match. They were not very helpful when I contacted them.

The moral of this is sometimes simple is better. I've never had a problem with a plain hardwood rod with threaded tips securely attached, they are cheap, and you can get them plenty long enough.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The moral of this is sometimes simple is better. I've never had a problem with a plain hardwood rod with threaded tips securely attached, they are cheap, and you can get them plenty long enough.

Very very true.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post