Find
Notify
Tools

.50 Tennessee Rifle
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Hey folks,
I got a lead on a .50 flintlock, Tennessee Mountain Rifle by Dixie Gun Works (DGW). I'm told she's seen some use so ain't too pretty, but that she's a tack driver, as well as having an L&R lock as an upgrade to the original DGW lock. I told the seller that as long as she shoots straight, and is reliable on ignition, that she'll be purty 'nough for my tastes.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good find, to me.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I second that motion..... Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Congrats LD.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
LOL This is certainly a right-hander's world.

In all the gun shows, and trade fairs that I attend I always keep a sharp eye out for left-handed guns. I seldom find one, and even when I do it is usually either something so poor, or of a style that I don't care for, or something far too expensive that I have to pass it by.

Congrats LD

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If I ever sell any of my left handed guns I will give you a heads up first.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Being left-handed myself,I decided early on(oh,about 2 or 3 years of age) that I wasn't going to be caught in that trap.I concentrated REAAAL hard and made sure I was right eye dominant..... Wink

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't want to hijack LD's thread here.
I have plenty of left-hand guns, both muzzleloaders and modern. I am left eye dominant, but like many lefties, I can do many things with either hand, shooting included.

So, LD, did you get that .50?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
YES, I picked her up last night. I was right, "woods wear" to the seller was a few dings, nothing more. It does have the L&R after market lock, and it's been tuned by Brad Emig. It IS VERY HEAVY for a rifle, being .50 and 15/16ths across the flats with straight sides. She's supposed to be a very good shooting rifle with a .495 ball and a .010 patch launched by 70 grains of 3Fg. For an extra little bit the guy turned it into a "packaged deal" and I got a .495 Rapine mold, a Terry Crawford bag, a scrimshawed priming horn, and a full sized horn, plus flints, turnscrews, a box of Hornady swaged ball in .495, cleaning jag, a wisk and flash hole pick, and an antler powder measure in 70 grains.

Big Grin

Due to its weight, very front heavy and the fact that it's got a set trigger, I figure I've just bought me my match rifle.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
YOW!Very nice,seems like you got a real winner there....

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Due to its weight, very front heavy and the fact that it's got a set trigger, I figure I've just bought me my match rifle.

Sounds like you got a great deal.
Yes, it does sound like maybe it was built as a match rifle.
Now, you just have to try it out.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Now we've just got to get you on the correct side of the Bay for one of our shootin matches!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sure, I'd love to come and shoot. I probably could bring a couple of the lads along with me.

Big Grin

Only maybe more in May or June?

LD

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sure! May 7 is our big pig shoot, we roast a pig that day, plus all the prizes are cut and frozen pork. 10 rounds of 5 shots, all 25 yards at the dreaded Griffey 5X target. As for time and distance if you stay on 301 after crossing the Bay we're 10-15 minutes away from Centreville.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
BUMMERS! Mad

I am scheduled to be at Mt. Vernon, returning the Colony of Virginia to its rightful allegiance to His Royal Britannic Majesty, King George III that weekend.

Thanks for the information. Big Grin

LD

Booshway
posted Hide Post
$^%& Tory!!! Get the tar and feathers!!!

Smiler

Factor
posted Hide Post
LOL! Wink