MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Article About Northwest Guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article About Northwest Guns
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted
I ran across the following article online while browsing the web this cold, dreary morning: Indian Trade Guns.

This is an old article by Charles Hanson. I don't know the date, but judging from the photo of him I would guess at least a couple of decades. The folks who are interested in these guns may not find anything new or surprising, but I thought this one article consolidated a great deal of information into a few pages.

It is a little challenging to read, due to a few typos and some glaring continuity errors in the way the piece is organized. I don't think that is necessarily the fault of the author so much as the publisher. However, it you can work your way through, there is some very good information here.

In any event, I hope everyone has a safe, happy, and prosperous New Year!

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
It's a good reference article. Thanks for sharing, Bob.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
There's been a number of books written about the Northwest Trade guns.

The Northwest Gun by Charles E. Hanson 1955

Success In The North American Fur Trade, A Documentary of the Northwest Gun Trade By Barry "Buck" Conner

Trade Guns of the Hudson's Bay Company 1670-1970 by S. James Gooding, 2003

These are all good books covering the Northwest Trade guns and anybody who is interested in these guns would find them as great sources of information.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post