MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Finally got some practice in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got some practice in
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
With everything that's been going on it's been a while since I took my trade gun out for some practice. Did some shooting at about 25 yards then went back to 40 yards and fired this 5 shot group. Of course I had to pull the last one and ruin a good group. Still not too bad for a smoothbore flintlock musket with no rear sight fired off hand in a strong cross breeze.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting!

What is your current load for her ?

Still working on one for mine ... Iowa rain permitting ....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leonard,

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I use 75gr of Goex 3fg., a 1/4" lubed hard wool felt wad, a .610 bare ball and a thin over shot card. The lube is a mixture of Crisco, bees wax and olive oil. I melt it at a low heat, dip the felt wads into it until soaked and then put them on newspaper or a paper bag to cool off.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Larry !!!

WIll have to try it out in my Chief's gun.

Was using a 0.600 ball, 75 gr 3F, a 1/8" lubed wool Wonder wad and a thin overshot(ball) card, but my group at 25 yards looks worse than your's at 50 (and I was using a front rest!).

I will try using two wool wads (= 1/4 " like you are using) and see if that helps.

Thanks again !

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Also start with a low charge weight, fire 5 shots, then raise your charge 5 grains and shoot another until you get a tight group. Keep raising your charge until the group starts to open up again. Each gun has a different charge they prefer. My Chief's grade kept getting better groups until I tried 80 gr which opened back up which is how I settled on 75 gr. I've read where some people need as much as 90 gr. to get a good group.

Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That's an amazing bare ball group for that distance. My bare ball groups are fine for deer but not nearly that tight.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryp:
Also start with a low charge weight, fire 5 shots, then raise your charge 5 grains and shoot another until you get a tight group. Keep raising your charge until the group starts to open up again. Each gun has a different charge they prefer. My Chief's grade kept getting better groups until I tried 80 gr which opened back up which is how I settled on 75 gr. I've read where some people need as much as 90 gr. to get a good group.

Will do !

Now ... know anything about how to stop all this RAIN ??? (LOL, but not really ....)

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
That's an amazing bare ball group for that distance. My bare ball groups are fine for deer but not nearly that tight.

Thanks Hanshi! My trade gun really seems to like this load and will usually shoot well if I do my part.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Along those lines, larryp, Lee doesn't make a .610" mold; I'd hoped to get a Lee. What mold do you cast .610" ball from? Lymans are excellent but way costly. Casting with WW in my .600" Lee mold gives ball that measures about .606" or there about. That extra .004" may not make much difference, however. I'm thinking of experimenting with a toilet paper wrap to tighten the ball; I remember that worked with .58 minies back when I owned a zouave.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I use a Lyman mold. Costly, yes, but I wanted a ball as close to bore size as I could get. I figure with the cost of buying ready cast ball from TOW I'm getting the cost of the mold back quick.