Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody here own one?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
NWTF very nice thanks for sharing.
Guns are built for hunting and shooting I use mine that's what I bought them for.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
I have my own collection of Signature Series Colt percussion revolvers that are in glass cases with some original equipment I bought off of e-bay. They are very well made revolvers. I have a '49 Pocket and a '62 Police and I'm still looking for that elusive 3rd generation '62 Police with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. They never get shot. I bought a newer reproduction Colt with all of its spare parts to shoot and take out in the woods.

But back on topic, About half way down the page is a Jud Brennan Rifle.

http://longrifle.com/forsale/default.asp?categoryID=1

Possibly someone would display that rifle in the office or home or camp with an original German made hunting bag from the 1600's and an original scrimshawed horn.

To each his own, but there are people that wouldn't think twice about taking that rifle out in the woods to hunt with. Remember not all James Purdeys are sitting in bank vaults. And the last time I looked they're still in business with a long waiting list.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Crawdad,

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If I own ,, it I shoot it,,,Might never own a Hershal House rifle but if I ever do you can put your money on the he shoots it square.. I own an AYA sxs 12 gauge ,, I hunt with it every time I get the chance,,I bet the House brothers didn't create a beautiful rifle just to have it set in a room and never go into the woods..

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know who built Senator Orrin Hatch's NRA rifle. Was it Jud Brennan?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Crawdad,

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Well Dec. 22 I received the early Jake Hawkins that I ordered 4 years ago from Steve Zitn. It was ordered in all brown, no patch box, it arrived with 1 silver inlay, a silver side plate, 6 silver echelons for the keys, and a Modena patch box engraved with a buffalo at no extra charge because of it took so long, and some of the problems he ran into. Sorry no pictures at this time FedEx broke the frisson, don't know how they did that, and not mess up the barrel but they didn't damage it. It will be hunted with.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 18 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
When you can,pics would be appreciated ....I like to think that I would shoot something special,like a House gun,but I've never had to make that decision,I have admire the cojones of someone who can,though.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Mike;

I'm not even interested into those fancy fufu museum guns. Those where only something that would have been handled by a dandy.

My interest is and always will be what did the real working man carry. The guy working for the "Company" out in the trenches making .75 cents a day (1830's wages.

Those are the types of guns I like to carry, shoot and see when looking at originals.

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have one fancy 45 cal flint long rifle, the rest are plain Jane guns though very well built. My Sharon Gun Barrel 54 cal Hawken spent quite a few seasons in the woods. It wasn't till hard weather started to take its toll on its stock that I purchased and started hunting with the Lyman Great Plains rifle. I also have a Caywood Gunmakers 62 cal northwest trade gun that I hunt grouse with. I've carried Sweetheart, my 45 cal plain Jane flint long rifle hunting on several occasions but not as a regular. It was in 2004 that I purchased the Pedersoli Blue Ridge 54 cal flint long rifle so I had a more rugged built flinter for hunting. Princess, my fancier 45 cal flint long rifle has been my rendezvous companion since 2001.

So while in the woods, I'm either carrying the Caywood NW trade gun, the Lyman GP rifle, or the Pedersoli long rifle. If I'm at mountain doings, I'm probably using Sweetheart or Princess, the 45 cal flintlocks. Keep in mind, they weigh 7 to 8 pounds rather than the 10 pounds that Sharon 54 Hawken weighs. Back in my 20's and 30's, the 10 pounds didn't bother me but now that I'm in my 60's, I really like the 7 or 8 pound 45 long rifles in competition.

My main interest was to use guns that my grandpa used so yes, these were all plain Jane user guns. This is also why I use real black powder and patched round balls. I have my grandpa's 62 cal NW Barnett trade gun. I also have two of his Meacham conversion 45-70 Sharps rifles. Those two rifles are wall hangers so I also purchased a Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 that is very close to one of grandpa's rifles.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I started out with a yard sale find many years ago. It was a 56 caliber Thompson Center Renegade smooth bore. It came with the .55 round ball mold, so I really went to town making my own projectiles and scaring away all of the forest creatures in my backwoods. I got to become a pretty fair shot with that old gun and found myself lured into some competition shooting events held by a gun range club in the next county. There, I was introduced to some wonderful folk who not only knocked me down a few notches on the 100 yard field, but did it with those most primitive flintlock thingy's with rifled barrels. Oh boy! I will admit that I was not a spring chicken at that time, but a new version of the kid in me just had to find one of those flintlock rifles! I was shown several guns and allowed to shoot them by my new club friends. One was an Italian made gun, another was so old looking and dark that I can't remember much about it. Out of the bunch was a real piece of work with a gorgeous curly stock and engraved brass everywhere. Also noticed the fine carving on the butt and out along the long forestock. That one I don't think I'll ever forget as it not only looked regal, it felt like part of me when I shouldered it and placed that shot down range into the target. I had just become one of those rich dandy's on a pauper's budget. My late mother, rest her soul had always told me that my eye's were bigger than my stomach. My tastes always exceeded my means. Someday I would find myself in deep trouble. Well, to make a long story short, momma was right and I found contentment and enjoyment with the just so so rifles. The End. Roll Eyes Just kidding!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot to mention that I have since over come the part about my eyes being bigger than my stomach. Gone so far with that short coming that my eyes could never possibly catch up!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Fortunately,a gun doesn't have to look like a million bucks to shoot like it..... Wink

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
You can sure say that again, Beartooth! Smiler

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
OOPs, I meant to say Boretooth! My apologies!

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Ohhh sheeeesh! Boartooth! Now I'm really in dutch!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Snicker . . . I'd say you shot a pretty tight group there, Cranbrook. Heh heh . . .

(Pssssst!---I owed you one, 'Tooth!)

Heehawin'Sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Pretty guns hunt just as good as ugly ones.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Augh,they're ganging up on me!.....Scoundrel,you're right,but I can only afford ugly ones!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Of course mine are all ugly but in the sense that your spinster cousin is, not really ugly, but plain as a lard biscuit. And them lard biscuits are d%#*@^ good! I'd like to have a nice carved longrifle with some engraving, I'll admit. But I passed on that idea so I could have two plain ones instead of just one.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
To me the real beauty is in functionality and slim lines. Kinda like a beautiful woman (my wife) doesn't need much in the way of makeup or jewelry. Same with a nice slim rifle or fowler! Just sayin' is all.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
And now a foray into existentialism :A plain woman is usually a beautiful woman that has better things to do than primp....so too a gun...?