New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navy arms shotgun?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I have just purchased a Navy arms double barrel 12 gauge bp shotgun. It has 28 3/4" barrels and as far as I can tell the inside measurement of the barrels are .724". Would this be considered open choked or imp. Cylinder? The gun is approx. 25 years old and looks to be in new condition. It's made by Pietta. Any info would be appreciated. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
only if the actual bore is larger . other wise what you have is a cylinder bore

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice RD. Can you post pics?

I have wanted a 2x ML shotgun for quite awhile now.

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures. They're not great but the gun is like new. Best regards. RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Rockerdog,
Those are a great shotgun. I had one and it got me a lot of grouse.
My load was 70 grains of 2f and an equal load of shot. Cards and wads came from THE GUNWORKS folks...
I would kept it, but I sold it to get a Northwest trade gun.
Happy shooting,
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. It resembles a Pedersoli I once owned and that was a splendid looking and shooting gun.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good for you Rocker, I hope you get lots of game with that. Thanks for posting pics.

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Good guns...had one myself back in the late 90s.
Enjoy !!
Then when I got into Flintlocks I just never went back and used caplocks any more...gradually sold them all off towards financing other Flintlocks...LOL...sure wish some company like Navy Arms made SxS Flintlocks

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
I've got one that I use quite a bit. Usually hunt with friends using modern shotguns. I don't feel at a disadvantage at all when hunting pheasant or grouse..but quail & dove? I get left behind when my partners go after those running blue quail after firing my two shots, and it doesn't help when I'm being told "there goes one, here comes another" while madly loading when the dove are flying.
....but they all want to try it.....

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
IMO . The grace of a properly stocked SXS reaches right up there with that of a long rifle .
Through the years I have had at one time or another owned models made by Navy, Pedersoli , CVA , Jukar ,, AA , National and most recently even a long barreled , 16 gage piece made by Insaf Ali and Sons of India
. Which interesting enough carries all the proper Government markings required for exported firearms under the IFO .

What every one of these piece’s lack is the grace and balance of the originals . IMO they feel like a modern cartridge SXS made after the in 50’s or an old CVA long rifle that’s stock was never taken down to shape .
This doesn’t IMO take away from their shoot ability . The , Navy , Pedersoli and even the CVA were and are very good shooters . You will enjoy your piece . Congrades on your purchase and welcome to the world of muzzle loading SXS .
While it does load slow , the rewards are great . Bringing a complete new aspect to hunting .

like RB I have often wondered why it is that manufactures have never marketed a flintlock SXS.
Possibly the reason is that when a lot of these came out , the popularity of the flintlock , in 20th century muzzle loading , just wasn’t there to support a market . Where in the last 20 or so years , the popularity of the flintlock has grown in leaps and bounds .
With that being said though , the market has changed and moved away from main stream production guns into the semi custom and full custom markets . Which sadly do to costs , has reduced the numbers of folks who can afford a flintlock version of the SXS

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Joe and Susie Willians of Springfield, OR had two nice looking double barreled flintlock 20 gauge shotguns at the Cascade Mountain men's muzzleloader-buckskinner show in Monroe.

Look them up on the web at Gun works Muzzleloader Emporium.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the tip about the 2 SxS Flinters...but right or wrong, I've heard so much constant bad stuff about the quality of Indian made muzzleloaders that I wouldn't even take a chance on one.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
sorry to take this post off topic but ,the two SXS flintier i saw that joe had , were both the current type of artifact/handicraft/curio Imports from India .IE they were not functional firearms when exported .

RB
While I cant disagree with you on the side subject .
But people should realize that no mater their opinion on guns made in India, that there are 2 types .
Those which are classified as Firearms prior to export from India and those which are classified as novelties . Thus not a functional firearm under the IOF and there for do not have to be subject to standards. Which every firearm to include muzzleloaders , must meet under the firearms laws of India .

India has VERY strict gun manufacturing laws . The Government of India does not allow “ANY” firearms to be exported without IOF proof . From what I have been told , they do not allow batch testing either.
In fact their firearms laws go so deep that our custom muzzleloader industry here could not exsist in India like it does here .
Not only do they require every barrel to be subject to proof ., but they require every part made , to be recorded and registered

So as to how one feels about the current India guns , that’s up to each of us . Frankly im not sure how I feel about them .
I do find it rather odd we here in the US seem to have a double standard .
Oddly we can point a finger at a hand full of failures and claim those as proof .
Yet at the same time many turn a blind eye to failures of our own companies . In fact so much so that we still claim some of those companies to have produce wonderful , sought after barrels

here are a couple links for those who may be interested in seeing just what the IOF laws
http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india/laws/act/

http://www.gunaccessory.com/laws/arms_rules.htm

also here is a link concerning the India SXS that i mentioned in my post . this also includes my first research and some of the contacts i had with the Goverment of India .
again it may be interesting to some folks here .
IMO reguardless of any of our oppenions on such guns , i think it is probably a good thing to understand the diffrences and just who is doing what .

http://www.traditionalmuzzlelo...89f6753db969ab906740

sorry my link was to the 2nd page of that old thread . so i editied this to link to the first page

This message has been edited. Last edited by: captchee,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I had one of those. Didn't like it. The '12 ga.' was really a 14 ga. The chokes did not allow seating of wads unless I used a mallet or went for undersized ones. Full choke (right) barrle patterned lousy. I had it bored out to cylinder bore and it loaded and shot just fine. The unfired barrel always bounced the load forward making reseating necessary after one shot. For safety the unfired cap had to be removed. Just too much fuss and bother for my tastes. I'm much happier with a single barrel. And even more happier with a flintlock, but that is not part of this discussion. Wink

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Nice looking SXS Rocker. Enjoy.

Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ with you and I just got off the phone with Suzzie Williams (5:02 PM PST, 3-19-2012) and was informed that the two double barrel flintocks they have are shootable.

I couldn't imagin Joe & Suzzy having anything that wasn't shootable. I've done business with them over the years and have always been treated well. They are good business people and don't stiff their customers.

I didn't ask where the shotguns were made and didn't really care. The point being is that they are shootable. I can't answer to whether they are junk or not but they had a $700+ price tag.

If you wish to inquire and call Joe or Suzzy, the number is 541-741-4118 or contact them at thegunworks.com

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Finger:
I beg to differ with you
I'm guessing this reply isn't directed at me, as I said nothing you can "beg to differ with"...LOL

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
White Finger

I did not say they were not shoot able . They are .
What I said is that they are part of the current influx of India made curiosities . These are made functional by drilling the flash holes once there are over here .
NOTE : I am not saying Joe is drilling the flash holes . For all I know he is getting them after they have been drilled
You can find the very same piece sold through the Loyalist Arms , middlesex and millitary haritage Not only will you find those SXS flintlocks on those websites . But you will also find muskets as well
http://www.militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/

http://www.loyalistarms.freese...pularmuskets-01.html

I know as I talked with joe when he was thinking of offering them .
I also know because he says so on his web site
http://www.thegunworks.com/cus...%20Semi%20Production

quote:
Tapered Round Barrels - Polished
Manufactured by Indian Made

quote:
Tapered Round Barrels - Blued
Manufactured by Indian Made

. They do not carry proof marking from the IOF . Which I explained to you above . MUST be there if they are exported as a functional firearm

so let me break this down for you as you seem to have miss read my post .

quote:
I beg to differ with you and I just got off the phone with Suzzie Williams (5:02 PM PST, 3-19-2012) and was informed that the two double barrel flintocks they have are shootable.

I couldn't imagin Joe & Suzzy having anything that wasn't shootable. I've done business with them over the years and have always been treated well. They are good business people and don't stiff their customers.

I did not say they were bad to do buissness with . i have and do use joe for alot of my work . that includes his barrels anfd have always been treated well .
what i said was . and i quote

quote:
two SXS flintier i saw that joe had , were both the current type of artifact/handicraft/curio Imports from India .IE they were not functional firearms when exported .

here is a 35 page discussion . take the time to read it . it has both pros and cons on the subject of these guns
India Made Imported Muskets

but again know full well that none of these have passed the IOF laws or they will have ALL the India proof markings on the barrel .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: captchee,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
That is correct. You said they were not functional firearms when exported.

That might as well read "not shootable" to me.

Load fast and aim slow.

Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
quote:
That might as well read "not shootable" to me.

when they are exported from India , they are NOT fireable . There for under the firearms laws of India , they are NOT considered a firearm and thus can be exported without having to pass any of the IOF laws .
The importers , then drill the piece OR in some cases leave the customer to drill and thus make the pieces a functioning firearm .
The rest is up to you to decide .