Find
Notify
Tools

A scarcity of blackpowder
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Hi ya fellas!

Since the Goex plant in Minden, Louisiana has been shutdown since September 28th, 2021, powder has gotten mighty scarce hear in the Bitterroot country.

The local trading post only has 3 canisters of cannon powder left and it will go quickly, if not gone already. No primers either!

So, how is the powder situation in your neck of the woods?

Keep yor powder dry......it mite be yor last!

regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I still have a fair supply, so I haven't been looking for it. I've always used Goex, but now when I need more I suppose I will have to look at the European imports - it they are available at a reasonable price at the time.

I have noticed that common, fixed ammo has become a little more plentiful lately. Still not up to old supply levels, but there is more of it than there had been recently.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
It is my hope that someone will purchase the goex plant and resume production again. It is the only american made black powder. I would hate to have to buy european powder cause it would only take the stroke of a politicians pen to ban the importation of black powder.

Posts: 20 | Location: SE CT | Registered: 27 March 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have a modest supply of powder at this time. I ordered a few pounds of Graf's back in the summer and got a few more pounds (Goex) from a friend; even have half a pound or so of 3F Swiss. I'm not currently in a situation where I can shoot much. But by the time I need more powder maybe there will be a solution to the shortage.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I recently heard that Dupont is looking into buying the Goex plant to resume production. Hope it is true.

Posts: 20 | Location: SE CT | Registered: 27 March 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya fellas!

A company that goes by the moniker ITSY (who makes model rocket engines as well as propellants for the military) has bought the Goex moniker and will start shipping powder late spring or early summer.

So, guess I'll just hang onto the nitrate & sulfer that is stored away for awhile!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Smart idea.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post