Tools

wad for full choke
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captchee:
the more times I read your post , and maybe its just me and if so , fine , its just me , but I get more and more irritated each time .

quote:
Just seeing this...no way for us to know what you get irritated about. I made a simple qualifying comment about the experiences I've had...and asked a simple question, which unless I overlooked it..still hasn't been answered.
(And I see another poster has asked the same question)

To quote my earlier statement & question posted above:
".....I want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly because missing from this is any reference to distance or gauge. And in the absence of those qualifiers, I have to assume conventional thinking is being used for such choke pattern comparisons, and that is that they are based upon the % of pellets inside a 30" circle at 40yds.

While no one would ever confuse me with a master smoothbore practitioner, I've put a lot of shots down range on the patterning boards...a lot of them...out of both 28 and 20ga smoothbores, short barrels, long barrels, juggling huge varieties and combinations of powder, wad(s), card(s), shot charge sizes, OS cards, etc.

And while juggling combinations certainly affect patterns, I've never come close to duplicating the results of a full choke pattern in a 30" circle at 40yds, using a wide open cylinder bore barrel.
Any 28 or 20ga load data that could be shared here to allow me to get a full choke pattern of pellet density in a 30" circle at 40yds out of my open cylinder bore ML barrels would be very much appreciated....."

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any chance you could share your happy load (money shot)with us?

Thanks.....Dan

sure dan , no problem
the charge is was 80 grains of 2F under a 1/2 inch horse hair wad , half of which is soaked in a mix of bee's wax and Windex.
1 1/2 oz of #71/2 shot and an over the shot card .
as i said , nothing special but for the different size of shot column to powder ..
Now in my 20 gage SXS that load doesn’t work well .
It likes 70 grains of 2F. The wad is replaced with 2 , 1/8 inch over the powder cards . The 2nd card I soften with spit . Then I add in 1 ¼ oz of shot .
Now in my .410 , it doesn’t like either of the above . For that its 1oz of shot , a hard wad , 2 over the powder cards and 40 grains of 3F .
Now that’s not to say that every one of my smooth bores I have gotten great patterns from . . Some I never did .

one of the great things about the writings of the likes of Greener , Walsh , Rigby and the others is that they often go into or at least record the loads ..
take the link i posted.
time and time again greener is mentioning that with the larger bores he isnt able to pattern correctly, even with a choked bore , because the FIELD trials do not allow the use of what he considered a proper load for the larger bores with or without a choke .
however later in the book we read that once aloud to move outside the rules book , thats when the larger bores started to truly pattern as well as the smaller bores

This message has been edited. Last edited by: captchee,

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
round ball , i posted you a link ,
my advice to you would be to start gathering information , draw your own conclusions and start from there.
If you don’t accept it , ha that’s up to you

The only thing I would add is that today appears to be no different then 200 years ago . Every gun is different , they all like different things . Also despite what some think as quality of a gun , it would appear that quality is in the eye of the beholder.
If that wasn’t the case then you would see a mile long list of all different makers being tied up in those old scoring sheets . But that’s not the case now is it
Good day to you sir

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Thanks Captchee! Currently starting to Working up loads for a flint 38" cyl 10 ga.
In the past I have found working up loads for a rifle was easier.
Thanks again....dan

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the past I have found working up loads for a rifle was easier.
Thanks again....dan

your welcome and yes i would have to agree with that statement

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I didn't see where anyone mentioned the article Mike Nesbitt did in ML a few years back where he discussed Ox Yoke as well as wads made from leather and wool blankets (and how to grease them). He included punch sizes for different gauges. Another time he also did an article on encapsulating your shot in paper cups for a faster reload.
YK

Posts: 17 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: 03 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post