New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent Refinish
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
I built this old rifle back in '03 and recently did a re-do on it. It was my first gun from a blank of hard maple. It has a 50 caliber Oct to round 36" barrel made by Mark deHass. Used a large Siler lock and brass hardware from TOTW. Has been a good deer rifle for me, so I figured I owed her some TLC.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty gun CB. Nice job.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Thanks TC!

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thats a great looking rifle. You do nice work.

Posts: 33 | Registered: 04 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Only fault I can see is it's not hanging on the wall beside my smoothbore Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mighty pretty for a fact. Makes me think I oughta shine up the brass on Ol' Bull-Stout.

But that'd make 'im too proud and change his whole gentle nature . . .

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Count me part of the majority,I think it's a darn fine job you did there,fella....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice looking gun.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that one Big Grin

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Hey, thank you all again for the nice words! I've only ever put a name to one gun in my little collection. It was an ole CVA cussin rifle that I named "LIL BESS" after my basset hound. My darlin Bessy who is now going on 11 yrs old and now called "ole Bess". That's the dog I'm talking about. Grey in the face and sleeps 20 hours a day! I sometimes have to check for a pulse on the ole girl. Yep, still breathin! I've had a hankerin to giving this ole flinter some kind of name, but could sure use some help. Any idea's from you fella's would sure be appreciated!

<mtnmike>
posted
Well Son,,,the only name I could figger would sound good Roll Eyes would involve sending it to me,,,,then I would give her the name Confused MINE-O-MINE
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Bassets are wonderful dogs,and profoundly disobedient....We've had three(slow learners,I guess)......I think if I was gonna name a piece like that,it would have to be something elegant like "Lucretia Borgia".....oh wait,that's been used already....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
"Ellie"---as in short for "Miss Elegant". Because that's what she is.

Fiddlesticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention about the disobedience of Basset hounds Boartooth! Bessy has always been just the opposite of that. My Mrs. thinks that because she was "companioned" by our Australian Sheppard "Coco" Lord rest her soul, that she toed the line right from the git go. Them Ausies put everything and everyone in their place. Ole Coco had Bessy house broken within the first two weeks of her arrival into our home at just 8 wks of age!

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Gosh Sticks, I kind of like that! Was always smitten by Ellie May from the Hillbillies bunch. Ellie May.....the critter gitter! Thank you Sticks! You just helped me give her a name!

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
That sure is a beautiful gun! I love flow and contour of the stock.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome. Funny thing: the gal that played Ellie May used come around here visiting friends. I never did see her that I know of. Just up the road is Silver Dollar City where they filmed a few of their episodes.

Fiddlesticks

Factor
posted Hide Post
All I can say,Cran,is you musta had an abnormally obedient basset.....Ya know,that gal that played Ellie May just passed on a couple'a months ago....Things like that make you realize how old you're getting... Frowner