New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent Refinish
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Naming your critter gitter after her would be a really thoughtful memorial.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1939 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Wait what, you mean to tell me Ellie Mae is dead. Oh no!! Sorry, just had to take a moment of silence. Now I feel old too. But seriously, the thing I like about this rifle gun is the roll over beaver tail cheek piece. Very nice. **** fine looking piece.

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that Fincastle. As I mentioned when I first posted this, this was my first build from a blank hunk of wood. I had already picked up the barrel and the lock and furniture for it, and originally had in mind making a jaeger type of rifle. Using American maple kind of put a kabosh to that thought. In my study I ran across the "transitional" period of the longrifle. This was kind of a mysterious place without a lot of existing artifacts around to look at. That also put a lot more freedom into my plans. Some might call it "artistic license" but whatever....I cannot say that the rifle I was about to build could actually represent anything that ever was. So I went for my own ideas and wanted a rifle that fit me with comfort in mind. I had a fullstock Hawken rifle that had seen better days. I found it at a local gun show years before and picked it up for a song. The lock had a broken main spring, the barrel's bore was badly pitted, and the forestock had been broken and poorly repaired. But, it fit me like a tailored suit! When I shouldered it, it came up to my eyes without any need for adjustment. I was there on target. I took that old gun and placed it on that maple plank and traced it's pattern out with a black magic marker. What I ended up with is in the pictures. Not at all anything like a Hawken, but the fit I was after was there!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
That's all that matters! If YOU are happy with it then enjoy shooting it!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post