Find
Notify
Tools

Range time
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Hi Folks.

I spent a couple of hours on the range Sunday re-checking the sights on a couple of muzzleloaders including the .50 Isaac Haines flintlock.

All went well and I did not need to adjust any sights. Good to know that I am ready for our muzzloading season to open on Nov. 1.

I like to practice a good bit to prepare for the hunt and to keep my mind on the sequence of loading a muzzleloader. As we all know, distractions and forgotten items can cause issues very quickly with muzzleloaders.

I hope to make more range time for other muzzleloaders very soon.

Gettin' ready, DanL

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 503 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've been doing the same thing, mainly widening the rear notches trying to keep ahead of weakening eyes.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3493 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I go out to a desert canyon every Sunday with a shooting & hunting buddy. I shoot BP as well as some modern stuff. He shoots only modern stuff. Around here it has been too hot after about nine thirty or ten o clock. Now hat it is cooling down into the 90's we're staying later. We have breakfast then start shooting. We can go from point blank to about 500 yards. I look forward to Sundays but with the cooling down I'll probably go out in the middle of the week by myself, maybe take the lady friend, she's a Gunsite grad and like to shoot. Range time is always good regardless of what one shoots.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
I've been doing the same thing, mainly widening the rear notches trying to keep ahead of weakening eyes.

I hear you, Hanshi!

It's like a new hobby we take up when we retire... Sometimes before... Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoeM,

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 68 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Finally got out to the range yesterday with a BP friend visiting from NY. After embarrassing ourselves on the 50 yard targets we worked on the 12" 100 yard gong. We both hit it so ending the day on a better note. Main thing is that it was a great time spent doing something we love.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Spent a few hours on the range today. I was ringing out a .40 1:37 twist TC Seneca barrel Bobby Hoyt lined for me. Absolutely fantastic groups at 50 yards using 40 grains FFF goex with .395 roundball and .012 patch. With 1.5” target spots, 50 yards is about the limit for my eyes and iron sights.

It also shot great groups with my cast .40 180 grain conical with 40 grains FFF GOEX and a felt wad below the bullet. strangely enough, it shot basically the same poi as the roundball.

I have a 12” gong at 75 yards and was ringing it consistantly. Excellent day at the range.

Needless to say, I am very happy with this barrel.

Regards, DanL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 503 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
The club I belong to, Yuma Territorial Long Rifles, Has begun it's winter shoots. We only have organized gatherings from about the middle of October to May if it doesn't get too hot.
Already had one shoot on our range in the Adair range complex the 3rd Saturday of October. Next one will be this coming Saturday. 1st and 3rd
Saturdays of the month. It's an enjoyable day with fellow BP shooters.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Dan, I believe you have a great Seneca .40. Can't beat a Bobby Hoyt worked barrel.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Last Sunday was the first time on the range for about three months.
Bad disc in the back and sciatica prevented anything from happening from about the end of May til last weekend. A long walk was from the bedroom to the living room couch. Had to spend almost the whole summer indoors doing the planet of the apes shuffle. That time has passed with the help of modern medicine. I'll be back on the range.

Yours in shooting

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Excellent!! 'Grats guy!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1926 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I, for one can't wait to get back out and burn powder.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Went out for a walk with our pastor this morning, a nice brisk Fall day. Temperature in the mid 40s (F). I felt like I should have had a pack on my back and a rifle slung over my shoulder, it was that nice!
We've had a couple of frosty mornings now and the leaves are off all the veggie plants. Yesterday I gathered all the peppers and green tomatoes. Chopped up a small chicken breast, onion and a bunch of bell and Hungarian peppers and fried them up with some garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. That and pan-fried potatoes was a mighty find dinner!

Posts: 39 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great dinner! We're probably going to bring in our tomatoes and peppers this week. We've got a probability of snow next weekend, so yeah, our growing season is over too.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1926 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I need to get out again and burn some powder. Pastor will be gone for a few days so no morning walks and I can slip out of the house to go to the range.

I have a trade going tomorrow with one of the local people; a Mossberg Patriot I have for his .50 Traditions Shenandoah flintlock. I had tried to sell the Patriot with not even a nibble so am looking forward to getting another muzzle loader. It looks like they leave a lot of wood on the stock when they make the Shenandoah; I may take the rasp and plane and put it on diet, depending on how it turns out to be.

~Kees~

Posts: 39 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post