Find
Notify
Tools

Anything new?
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted
Kinda slow but I know some of you just MUST have something "gun related" that's new and that you are just itching to talk about. So let's have at it! Photos are requested. I'll kick in, myself, as comments are posted.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nothing new in the way of muzzleloading.
I have been working at putting a scope on a modern bolt action .243 but I had trouble finding the correct scope mounts. Like everything else in the gun stores today, parts are scarce. Got it now, though.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've had a long and involved history with these type rifle guns. I still have a bunch of mounts & parts from those days that I managed to hang on to. Give me an idea of what's needed and I might have something you can use.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Me neither. The newest ML I have came to me several years ago. But I do have something rather new. My back pain has spread to include a previously unused spot. Just happened in the past couple months. Not BP related, but it is NEW! Big Grin

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
well, I got my new muzzleloader mag a couple of days ago. USPS was able to get the plastic cover open, but mag was beat up bit , nothing ripped. I'am glad I got it and I can read it. great mag. Mark

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nothing new for complete guns, but finally have a work bench at my new place. New gunmakers vise on it, too. Now just to get started on some things as hunting season ends. I have been stocking up on parts over the last year. Couple barrels, three locks, a few sets of brass mounts, etc. Now I just need to make some decisions what to start on first...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks to old age I have a difficult time carrying my smoothbore. It weighs close to 8 pounds and after a couple of hours my neck and shoulder develop excruciating pain. I have this Pedersoli Kentucky 50 cal. with a lock that doesn't work anymore. It is so old that there are no replacement parts avail able for it. I found a lock that is close in size to the original and I am performing some wood butchering on the stock to try to make it fit. If I am successful I will have the barrel bored out to 54 cal. smoothbore. As it stands now the gun weighs 6 1/2 pounds I would guess that after boring it out is will be right around 6 pounds even which I hope will give me a few more years to hunt.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I like lightweight guns even though I don't walk much any longer. My smoothbore weighs in at 8 lbs & an ounce or two. I can still wield it okay. My .40 weighs the same but balances nicely due to the swamped barrel. My .45 and .50 deer rifles go a good deal lighter.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
On gun weights;
I built my own "Tennessee rifle" from scratch back in 1998. That .50 percussion weighs in at almost exactly 9 pounds. The long 42 inch barrel balances great. It is my favorite big game hunting rifle. I have taken many deer and one wild hog with it.
My flintlock .62 smoothbore fowler was made by Caywood. I bought it "in the white" sometime in the mid 1990's and finished it myself. I haven't actually weighed it, but I would guess it is between 5 and 6 pounds. In spite of the long 42 inch barrel it feels light and is easy to carry. I've taken some squirrels with it, but only one deer using a round ball.
Then there is my behemoth; my chunkgun. A gun-making friend of mine from Illinois made it for me back 10 or 15 years ago. It is a .50 percussion with a 46 inch heavy barrel. It weighs 16 pounds.
All of these are left-handed to fit me.
I made a nice little .45 percussion (right-handed) for my wife. With it's 36 inch barrel it probably weighs in the neighborhood of 7 pounds.
I have a few more muzzleloaders, including a couple of originals, however they are all closet queens.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Well, I find it interesting that my favorite deer rifle for many years is a .45 flintlock "longrifle" with a 36" barrel. It also weighs somewhere near 7 lbs. My heaviest is a .54 1841 .54 that comes in at around 10.5 pounds. I've killed a deer with it and it's special to me. But due to the weight I don't take it in the woods anymore but do shoot that fine rifle on occasion. The .50 longrifle has a 38" Rice barrel ("B" wgt, I think) and only weighs a few ounces more than the .45. That leaves the .40 and .62 smoothbore, at just over 8 lbs each, as the heaviest of the flinters. I opted for a straight barrel on the .62 instead of a tapered one. I do love talking guns!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do love talking guns!

Okay. I'll start a new thread. Guns

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
A short while back I got an 1858 2 band Enfield and due to weather here I've only had it out twice. Only shot some balls I casted in it so far but I also casted some minie balls. with 35 or 45 grns of 3f it shoots 8 or 9 inches high at 30 yards. I think it is sighted in for the minie's.
Gun shoots the balls high but groups well. Next time out we'll shoot minies if I can get them lubed correctly. I've never shot minies so I dont really know what to expect. A range report will be forthcoming.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds cool....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Back in April I sent my .40 barrel to Bobby Hoyt to be re-bored to .45, my favorite caliber. The rifle lost over 6 oz with the conversion and is everything I'd hoped for. Now it only weighs 7 lb 11 oz instead of over 8 lbs.