MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Virginia stocked rifle using fowling gun parts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia stocked rifle using fowling gun parts
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I built this with a back story of a Virginia stocked rifle using parts from an old English fowling piece that had a blown barrel. The premise is that the old stock was copied to make the rifle.
Although the Mike Rowe lock (which is a dead ringer for a lock from a 1750's James Barbar duck gun) is a bit fancy for a rifle utilizing surplus parts, it was my best choice for an off the shelf left handed round face lock for the left handed owner. The .60 caliber barrel is an Ed Rayl, The butt plate and trigger guard are my altered versions of castings from originals by Reeves. I made the sights (rear sight is wrought iron), side plate, trigger and plate, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fowlingpiece,

Posts: 11 | Registered: 07 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
ooooh. Very nice. You even put the lock on the correct side for me.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That's nice!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
That's nice!

In spades!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed !!!!

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Very sharp. I like it Big Grin

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Well done.

God Bless
Whisler

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Kaintuckee | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I finally fixed the pictures so they show.

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
That is a very fne piece indeed!
Something I would be very proud of.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Very beautiful gun and very nice work FP! What is the metal finish? Blue or brown? Sometimes it is hard to tell from the photos.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
The barrel and screws are blued.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice! Gotta love the tobacco leaf sideplate for a Virginia rifle!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Have you ever seen a work that is so good you just give up any hope of even approaching it? This is getting into that territory....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Osprey:
Nice! Gotta love the tobacco leaf sideplate for a Virginia rifle!

Ha! I didn't think of doing a tobacco leaf. That would have been neat.
Actually this design comes from two English side plates.... a blunderbuss and a birding piece.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Have you ever seen a work that is so good you just give up any hope of even approaching it? ....

Yes I have!! My friend in NC surpasses me in so many ways with building that half the time his work inspires me to work harder and the other half to just cash in my chips and go home : )

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do FP, do NOT cash in your chips. As your friend's work inspires you to work harder, your work inspires me to work harder and do better on the next one I build. You have some fine skills my friend!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Given that I am a left-handed shooter and my antenna really picks up and points to one of those 'off-handed' typie rifles, I REALLY and ESPECIALLY like this work and the end result!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes,it is indeed a very nice piece....

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. This is my third build. I have barrels, stocks and locks for about 10 more. Hope I can get to them before I'm called up.