MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    So shy shouldn't I buy a Traditions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So shy shouldn't I buy a Traditions?
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
research some rifles in the white. may find a better quality rifle for near the same money. but you will have to finish the gun as far stain and patina. but as far as I know you can start shooting in the white. the more you learn the more likely you'll want to change something anyway.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
the Crockett " if thats what you are looking for?" has a very good reputation and are highly in wide use on another traditional forum i am on. I see no need to replace a percussion hammer on a traditions or cva. I think some fellows are stuck on the flintlocks which were a hit or miss. Luckily they've all been a hit for me.

A little polishing on the lock internals of ANY lock, goes a lot way and makes it a better lock in the end. Ever taken a look at those L&R Locks? some of those suckers look like they were just rough shaped on a belt sander and then put together.

Posts: 22 | Location: Boncarbo,CO | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Frontiermuzzleloading; apparently you had a bad experience with a L & R lock at some time. I have one on my Pedesoli Blue Ridge flint long rifle and it is twice the lock than what came on the rifle. I've had it off the rifle after each hunting season and don't have any complaints. Even the frizzen to pan surfaces match up better than the original Pedersoli lock.

Maybe you got the bad one in the pile and I got the good one, we will never know.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I have had three flintlocks all with L&R locks, two of them being Durs Egg and all worked well. Maybe I was lucky,or maybe the builders (well, two of them anyway) did some polishing if needed. My Chief's Grade under construction will have an L&R Queen Ann lock on it and I know its action is smooth as a baby's butt. Again, maybe I've either been lucky or had some decent builders who took it upon themselves to complete the job. That counts as luck, right?

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Luck, well maybe. In any case, my L & R works better than the original Pedersoli that came on my 54 cal Blue Ridge flint long rifle.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Had roughly 60 shots in the 2 days I was able to shoot the Traditions Hawken Woodsman. I got her printing beautifully at 75 yards and then my dad and brother and I headed to Oklahoma for our first hog hunts ever.

First evening we are baiting the area when I noticed some hogs.

47-50 yards, this .50cal El cheapo Traditions dropped the hog on the spot.

So, here's why you SHOULD get a Traditions. They are just as deadly as any other muzzle loader, just as well made and accurate as sin.

Posts: 22 | Location: Boncarbo,CO | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
While Traditions flint locks can be somewhat "iffy", this also applies to most other imported flintlocks; this includes the Lyman and Pedersoli, though in general they are a bit better than the Traditions but not always. I had a Pedersoli "Cub" .50 with a flint lock that was terribly unreliable. I DID manage to take a couple of deer with the flint lock installed but all the rest with a percussion lock installed.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
With a Traditions the good ones are good and the bad ones are bad. You'll have better luck with the Lyman Great Plains Rifle as their quality across the board is excellent.

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well we opened up the discussion with some comments on caplocks from Traditions. There is a huge difference between making a good, affordable caplock, and doing the same with a flinter (imho). And it's true as Hanshi pointed out, that even from the "better" makers, you will sometimes get lemons. I have a Pedersoli trade gun that should never have left the factory, the installation of the ramrod thimbles was so poor. Oh well.

I was able to pick up an after market L&R replacement lock for my traditions PA rifle. I bought the rifle originally on sale as something to bash around at battle reenactments, to save my expensive custom rifle a lot of wear and tear. But as I mentioned in a previous post the Traditions lock wasn't serviceable. The after market lock was bought second hand, so I got it cheap, and hopefully this summer I can install it in the rifle and get it working well.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My first flintlock was a Pedersoli Kentucky in 50 cal. The half cock notch would break off on occasion. I bought it 20 years ago and it was, according to the fellow I bought it from, 20 years old then. In the intervening years Pedersoli changed the lock design and no longer supplies parts for this lock. I have to weld it up recut the notch and reharden it, I use Casenit. As I am past 70 and falling apart I like the fact that the rifle is light weight and easy for me to carry. i wish that I could get a replacement lock for it.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post