MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Cleaning Lead Lined Drywall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Lead Lined Drywall
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I recently came into a good supply of recovered lead-lined drywall from a guy who remodeled a old dentist's office. The lead is good, pure stuff, and the bulk of the sheetrock has been removed, but there is a layer of cardboard still stuck on.

I tried casting a few balls by cutting it up and putting it in my ladle (I only have a hand ladle, not an electric pot) and while the lead would melt and I could cast balls, the ash from the cardboard kept getting in the way. I thought I might try to burn the cardboard off, so I took a torch to it, but the thin lead started to melt before the cardboard burnt off.

Any ideas?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 27 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Get a cast iron pot and skim it off the top.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Melt it down and keep skimming off the trash.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I think an electric pot will be one of my next acquisitions.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 27 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Mike, it seems to me that I used vinegar to dissolve the glue that held the varnished canvas on an antique trunk that I was going to refinish as a coffee table. It worked, although not quickly. I had to keep putting it on the area I was working with a sponge to keep it damp. After an hour or so, I was able to scrape off the old canvas with a putty knife, lifting and pulling it off. You might experiment on your paper on lead problem to see if this would work for you.

Certainly, melting in a pot and skimming the trash off the top seems like a good solution also.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Melt it down in a cast iron pot (that you will never cook in again) and flux to get all the impurities to the top, then skim it off.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post