New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dutch Schoultz System
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Ok so I bought the Dutch Schoultz Accuracy system, and his explanations of what's going on and why he recommends certain procedures makes sense. It appears that with some rifles that I have I have been lucky with the ball, patch, and lube combination, while with others I need to take them back to the range as I wasn't doing all that I could to get the best accuracy from them.

However, as luck would have it, although I am ready to go to the range, I can't seem to get the time for the past two weeks or so, to get over there. Mad Dang it! This weekend is no different, so my results must wait.

"I hate waiting." Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride 1987

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Never had an interest in just buying somebody elses canned approach to something...too much like just buying a box of modern shotgun shells off the shelf and going hunting with a modern shotgun...no thought or analysis in building the load, etc...its already done for me.
The main attraction of this hobby to me has been my own exploration, my own figuring / sorting stuff out / learning...then followed by good field results during hunting seasons.
But that just me...understandably other folks have different interests, etc

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dutch Schultz was one of the most brutal gangsters to emerge in New York City during the Prohibition era of the 1920's - 1930's. He was so bad that he finally was assinated by members of his own crime family.

That is the only Dutch Schultz that I've ever heard of - until now when I looked up the name coupled with "accuracy system". hmm.

I guess that I'm really lucky because I can shoot in my back yard whenever I want to.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roundball:
Never had an interest in just buying somebody elses canned approach to something...too much like just buying a box of modern shotgun shells off the shelf and going hunting with a modern shotgun...no thought or analysis in building the load, etc...its already done for me.
The main attraction of this hobby to me has been my own exploration, my own figuring / sorting stuff out / learning...then followed by good field results during hunting seasons.
But that just me...understandably other folks have different interests, etc

Dutch's system is not a "canned approach". It is a well reasoned and tested method of developing the most accurate loads for your needs. Learning from others experiences is the norm. Did you go to school, why are you here? It is the same, passing on knowledge. By not getting his system you are denying yourself a learning opportunity.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
The main attraction of this hobby to me has been my own exploration, my own figuring / sorting stuff out / learning...then followed by good field results

I just finished going through the process of Dutch's load development system with my Lyman Great Plains rifle. I got fantastic improvement in the groups the rifle shoots. I am now in the process of working the system on my Pedersoli pistol and plan to do the same with all my rifles.

You still have to experiment and discover what works in your rifle, "The system" isn't a prescribed load, it is a systematic approach to controlling the variables involved with working out the best load for a muzzle loading rifle.

I have been developing loads for center-fire and muzzle loading rifles for decades and I already knew most of the information contained in "The System". However, there were two items concerning loading a muzzle loader in Dutch's approach that I did not know and those two things made a big difference in how my rifle groups. It was well worth the price for me to get the final two pieces of the puzzle.

If you are a shooter who is satisfied with a rifle that will keep three shots inside a paper plate at hunting distances and don't enjoy experimenting with your rifle at the bench rest, the Dutch Schultz system probably isn't for you.

If you are the type of shooter who enjoys working up the best load for your rifle and getting the very best accuracy the rifle is capable of, you need the information Dutch has to offer.

Posts: 51 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prairie dog:
If you are a shooter who is satisfied with a rifle that will keep three shots inside a paper plate at hunting distances and don't enjoy experimenting with your rifle at the bench rest, the Dutch Schultz system probably isn't for you.
I thought I was clear with my comment:
quote:
But that just me...understandably other folks have different interests, etc.
LOL…hitting a paper plate ????

Two Examples of my paper plates:
A velocity / POI target with my .58cal deer hunting load:

A sight adjustment target with my .50cal deer load:

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I can understand the position of those who use the Dutch Schoultz system in that ultimate accuracy is a laudable goal. If one is having a tough time getting the desired performance from a rifle and will not settle for a simple "okay" group, it is probably worth the money and then some.

Speaking only for myself, rather than trying for the best a rifle can do, I'm more interested in how well it shoots "under pressure", so to speak. Most of my shots are from a dirty bore. I, too, like to find out for myself what my gun likes without necessarily using someone's "system". I can tell you that with my old eyes an average rifle and a tack driver shoot about the same.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Big Grin You know that rifle will shoot better than that. Wink

Posts: 51 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post