MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Trad Hawk vs TC Hawk vs Lyman GPR.....opinon please!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trad Hawk vs TC Hawk vs Lyman GPR.....opinon please!
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Walkingeagle, I did exactly what you said yesterday before I shot it and it looks extremely well put together and it is a coil spring and everything feels good and it shot well today. I inspected it for gaps, equal gaps, machine marks and it's really good. The sights suck! Got to find me something that is more defined rather than pick a space! It's a Keeper especially for my first one.....Now to tell my wife I bought another rifle "hum"

Posts: 56 | Location: Montana | Registered: 06 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear. I'm sure it will last you forever and do so without any hesitation.
As to the wife issue, well sir you are on your own with that one!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes you will find that although some guns have bad reputations, there are also some folks with good experiences. I have an old CVA "longrifle" in .45, caplock, and it was made in Spain. It has a two piece stock, and isn't very "long". It does, however, shoot very well with a patched, round ball. It was (iirc) $65.00 from Best & Company (now defunct) in 1980. Nobody ever wanted it when I tried to sell it in the past, and now I keep it for the kids, and as a backup for really bad weather, or a loaner rifle if one of my adult friends wanted to learn muzzleloading and to hunt.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
after tearing apart and rebuilding a gpr flintlock (very little use) i would consider something else.

Posts: 27 | Location: southwest pa | Registered: 09 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I bought a used T/C Hawken flint in .50 a few years ago and have loved it. Shot my first blackpowder deer with it. No problems other than usual maintenance. graybeard

Posts: 31 | Location: west michigan | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I would not bother with the traditions,The T/C and the GPR Llyman are the same level quality wise,the Lyman looks better at a Rondy,and shoots RB better,the T/C is better with heavy conicals,the Lyman will shoot one thing really,really good for a factory gun (patched ball)the T/C will shoot lots of things alright or so so but good enough forhuntin.I own and know and love both of them.the GPR is a flint and really a good gun

Posts: 31 | Registered: 02 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of VEARL
posted Hide Post
I have both a TC Renegade and a Lyman GPR. Both are good rifles. Here in Oklahoma, you can pick up a used TC for under $200.00. A lyman GPR for around $300.00. I prefer my Lyman for it seems to be slightly ahead of the TC in quality. Plus I like the 1/60 twist of the Lyman compared to the 1/48 twist of the TC.
quote:
Originally posted by Zebadi'ah:
Ok I have got it narrowed down for what we have in my area. Cabelas has the Traditions Hawkens 50cal. (new) for $359 on sale. I know somebody who has a TC Hawken 50cal. (used in good shape) for $300-$350? or a gun shop has a Lyman GPR in 54cal. in average cond asking $425 which I think is $100 to high for around here. Which one would you buy and why?

Posts: 45 | Location: OKLAHOMA | Registered: 02 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post