New
Find
Notify
Tools

yard sale find
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Last Saturday I stopped at a large, multi-family yard sale. Plenty of modern guns, and old worn out reproduction muzzleloaders. Then I came upon an original.

A real, honest to gosh, London Armoury 1853 Enfield, 3-band, .58 caliber rifled musket. Everything complete and original right down to the bayonet lug, except the front sight was broken off.
I ran the ramrod down the bore and, uh oh. The dang ol' thing was loaded!

Guy wanted $350. for it. My interest lies in earlier times than the American Civil War, so I passed it up.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
I too have no interest in that time period or firearm, however it is a very nice find indeed.
Being of no interest, I am uncertain as to the value of such a find but $350 would seem correct, no?
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The price seemed reasonable to me.
I have been to several "civil war shows" where similar original rifled muskets were selling for much more than that.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
The War Between the States is a historical period of some interest to me but I prefer the Colonial and early 19th century periods; that's the period I really love. Got only one WBtS gun and it is a beautiful copy of the US M1841 in the original .54. It's has killed deer but seldom gets fired much.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The US M1841 is a nice, handy 2-band rifled musket, often known as the "Mississippi Rifle" because it was used by a Mississippi regiment commanded by Jefferson Davis during the Mexican War.
My old boss was/is a Civil War re-inactor. He has several original guns from that period. I had some fun shooting his original breech loading .50 Smith carbine.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I did some research years ago, Rancocas, and discovered that the M1841 was the last US issued rifle designed to shoot patched round ball. Mine loves prb.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post