New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old CVA re-done
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I finally got around to shooting my re-done CVA. I built this from a kit a long time back which wasn't done very well then I re- done it again and it still was a shoddy job, some folks just have two thumbs. I have ask several builders to restock the parts for me and they said it wasn't worth the price to have it done. I finally found a builder that would do the job ,a big thanks to captchee for taking this on and doing a great job.
It's a 50 cal and has a Davis RPL lock, shoot 1 and 3 are pretty good don't know what happen to two needs a little adjustment to get it a little tighter group was shooting 75 grains 2f Goex .490 ball and .012 pre lube patch.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It's certainly gorgeous enough to make me jealous.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Excellent.....Beautiful piece....From personal experience,I'd have to blame #2 on driver error Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! I love the old CVA guns!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
CVA was what I started with and that looks better than anything I have ever done looks great

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You were lucky to get it rebuilt. Is now a fine looking rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rifleman1776,

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun. The way I shoot they all look like great shots to me!

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Your rifle is a real beauty. It's a shooter, too!

I missed the opportunity to buy one of those when they were in production. Used ones sell about as fast as they are offered.

I know you'll enjoy that rifle. It's a keeper!

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Very nice work!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking indeed!! A good shooter too. Was just thinking, too bad CVA wouldn't drop their inlines (dang,I said that word; another dollar to the swear jar) and reintroduce their old line. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Only one good result can come from it....Some of the folks that get one of that *other* type of muzzle stuffer will get curious about the classic style,and fall in love....we should welcome the converts....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noisemaker:
Very nice looking indeed!! A good shooter too. Was just thinking, too bad CVA wouldn't drop their inlines (dang,I said that word; another dollar to the swear jar) and reintroduce their old line. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

I recently replied to an ad they had on youtube about that very topic and they responded that all their customers wanted the inlines and that there was no market for traditional guns. When I pointed out that Traditions, Pedersoli, TVA, Northstar West and others were doing well with the traditional lines they said that Cabela's, Gander Mt. etc wanted only these from them. Strange as how those stores sell lots of traditional guns. More like they just don't want to hear that they made a mistake discontinuing their older line of guns.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I would venture to say that changing the lock made a 100% difference? I had a little Traditions that I could not find a replacement lock for,just couldn't get the little devil to spark on a regular basis,took it to a shoot one day,found a young'un that wanted it,so I made him a proud owner for no charge,some-one made him another frizzen and him is a happy camper!
You do have a beaut there,Cap knows his stuff!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post