Find
Notify
Tools

.32 Cal Rifle Kit
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted
I am interested in buying another .32 cal rifle for small game and target. I used to have one years ago and, stupidly, sold it.

I see that Traditions makes a Crockett rifle kit in .32. It looks to be a simple one and very similar to my T/C Hawken kit. Not too bad of a price.

Anyone have any experience with a Traditions kit? Thoughts on other, somewhat, less expensive .32 cal rifle options?
I saw a .32 and .36 for sale on Gunbroker, but they were too expensive for my taste.

Thanks all

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Several times I have settled for an "acceptable" quality gun or barrel due to price only to find myself looking for a better one later and spending more in total.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the Traditions, et al, barrels seem to shoot just as well as many of the "name" US made barrels. I have a Crockett that I bought 13 years ago and it will easily do a sub inch at 50 yards, or better. It is not even remotely "junque". I love mine.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I've found that how the stock fits me, quality of the lock and triggers and wood to metal fit are a big part of my satisfaction level with a rifle. Especially the lock and triggers.

True it must shoot well as "only accurate rifles are interesting" but I soon tire of them if the above are not acceptable.
Tc

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I think it really boils down to how the rifle fits. My Crockett fits me just fine but it's NOT a custom build. For an OTC rifle it's an excellent deal. On mine fit and finish are good, accuracy is phenomenal, reliability is as good as any other and it's light and handy and good looking. Near perfect squirrel rifle for a cap lock.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts all.

I just wanted an inexpensive small game and target rifle. I agree that quality is important, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little for price, but not too much.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hanshi,That Crockett you're referring to,is it one'a them Traditions imports?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Yes it is, Boartooth. Still, it is one fine squirrel rifle and will deliver those "one hole groups" at way beyond 25 yards. My copy will keep shots on a squirrel's head at 40+ yards.

Now, on the other side of the coin, my TVM .36 flint SMR is even better. While shooting with a friend a couple weeks ago, I had no trouble hitting soda cans and water bottles we'd set up for plinking. Later when I measured the distance it turned out to be 88 yards. Hard to fault either one.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,I'm not even up to speed on my tradegun,and I'm already thinking about a squirrel gun.....sad....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Not "sad", Boartooth; but precient. It is unassailable logic that has led you to the decision. It's just something you need. Big Grin