MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Smoothbore or Rifle for squirrel
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoothbore or Rifle for squirrel
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NWTF Longhunter:
Many years ago when my eyes were young I hunted squirrels exclusively with a .32 flinter. In those days if I could see the squirrel I could put a ball through his brain pan. I'll be 78 next month and the sights on my .32 and .36 are gettin a little fuzzy.

It's a fact, Longhunter, that the older a gun gets the more frayed and fuzzy the sights become. Those sights don't seem to last forever.

Being primarily a rifleman, I prefer using my .36 flint SMR on bushytails or my .32 Crockett. And since my smoothbore .62 is flint, I'll probably be using it more for small game in the future.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of markinmi.
posted Hide Post
Brown Bess but that 75 cal ball does a real job on them poor critters

Posts: 625 | Location: North of Detroit Mi | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Ole Cobb" my 28ga don't shoot em up too bad..

Ron, who built that smoothie for you? It's a beauty. Also, how long is the barrel?

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markinmi.:

Yeah, and often only one shot is needed. Cool

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
It's a fact, Longhunter, that the older a gun gets the more frayed and fuzzy the sights become. Those sights don't seem to last forever.

HAW HAW, a truer statement weren't never made. I still use my .32 Dixie rifle, but I made myself a pair of those little cheater glasses - regular reading glasses with a piece of tape that has a small hole in it so I can see them old sights.

Spot

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:

SHEWT you otta see what a couple of ounces of #6 shot does on them when launched from a bess! Eeker I find it rather time consuming trying to piece them together after they are hit.

I like a 20 gauge with 3/4 ounce of #6 launched with 70 grains of 3Fg. I also like my .40 BUT I often can't use it unless the squirrels are on the ground for fear of tossing a round ball out of the hunting area and into populated places... the smooth bore and shot avoids that.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I'd feel a little under-gunned if I were only using a Brown Bess. Big Grin

Posts: 23 | Registered: 20 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I know how ya feel,Paul,I've only got a Charleville in .69

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
To Paul and Boartooth, I'm trying to feel your pain, but ain't gettin' it done. Maybe you could get by with a inch and a half swivel, or a mountain howitzer. I just don't know.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking a twelve pounder should do.

Paul

Posts: 23 | Registered: 20 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of markinmi.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loyalist Dave:
quote:

SHEWT you otta see what a couple of ounces of #6 shot does on them when launched from a bess! Eeker I find it rather time consuming trying to piece them together after they are hit.

I like a 20 gauge with 3/4 ounce of #6 launched with 70 grains of 3Fg. I also like my .40 BUT I often can't use it unless the squirrels are on the ground for fear of tossing a round ball out of the hunting area and into populated places... the smooth bore and shot avoids that.

LD

Ive used mine often though I use a 69 cal musket now. I hit a squirrel in the head (with shot) at the top of a big oak and cartwheeled him about ten feet above the tree.pertiest shot I ever did make. Wink

Posts: 625 | Location: North of Detroit Mi | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post