New
Find
Notify
Tools

Settling on a smoothbore.
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Posted a bit last week about looking for a smoothbore and have sort of settled on two. I have narrowed the search to either a NSW Early English or a TVM Fowler. Lots of opinions are out there, but for someone who has not owned and guns from either of these two places, I'm open to information. TVM seems a tad cheaper in price, but not all that much. Both seem to have good reputations. As a final question, is Jackie Brown still building any guns now. It seems that he has some for sale now and again, but the info is rather vague.

Posts: 17 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: 28 June 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Try www.americanlongrifles.org. Jackie Brown has a smoothbore "in the white" for sale. For $100.00 extra, he'll finish the gun for you.

doggoner

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 31 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
If you decide to choose TVM, you DO have the option of choosing a straight barrel or a tapered one. You may also get any lock you want from any vendor and a choice of wood. I got a TVM .62 (20ga) smoothbore several years ago and chose a simple upgrade of wood, a Chambers Colonial Virginia flint lock and straight barrel. I've been very pleased with this gun and shoot ball for deer; I don't wing shoot but the gun is still handy and not too heavy.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Oh, and welcome to ehr campfire, doggoner.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Am in touch with Jackie and now I have a three way decision. :-)

Posts: 17 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: 28 June 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Setaf01,Heh,that's what you get for asking this bunch questions.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Yep, but it's all good. Smiler Any opinions on fowlers vs. early trade gun vs smooth rifle? I'm working under the strong assumption that this may be the last muzzle loader for quite some time according to the missus.

Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Do your self a favor an have this gun built right the first time an not have to regret an say "why did I not have this or that done to it" Ask yourself what are you gonna do with it MOST of the time. If you a serious turkey/deer hunter than have a back sight put on it but if your mostly a wing shooter then you might want to stick to just the front sight. And be picky about what lock you put in it. Look at this an other forums at lock complaints then do the math an stay away from the brand that gives the most trouble. If you will research this you will see that one brand gives the most trouble so whomever you get to build your gun have them put the parts that you choose. Good luck to you

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
My missus said if I got one more gun she was gonna leave me. I sure am gonna miss her.

Posts: 62 | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wattlebuster:
Do your self a favor an have this gun built right the first time an not have to regret an say "why did I not have this or that done to it" Ask yourself what are you gonna do with it MOST of the time. If you a serious turkey/deer hunter than have a back sight put on it but if your mostly a wing shooter then you might want to stick to just the front sight. And be picky about what lock you put in it. Look at this an other forums at lock complaints then do the math an stay away from the brand that gives the most trouble. If you will research this you will see that one brand gives the most trouble so whomever you get to build your gun have them put the parts that you choose. Good luck to you

Don't I know it. Smiler I've been thinking no rear sight as I'm kind of interested in smooth bore shoots and as far as hunting, the shots up here are all pretty close because of the woods and most fields aren't that big where I would be hunting. Not to say I won't settle for one without a rear sight. Just too many factors yet at the moment. Appreciating the thoughts from everyone. It's by no means a quick decision. Smiler

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bonedog:
My missus said if I got one more gun she was gonna leave me. I sure am gonna miss her.

My might not leave, but I would regret my purchase very soon. I will admit she has been very lenient over the years with my toys.

Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
You don't need a rear sight on a smoothbore. The entire barrel sorta serves as a rear sight. Just learn where to center the front sight and shoot. I've hit 75-100-yard gongs with my NSW Chief's Grade Gun and missed them with my rifle.

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah,but rifles only use one projectile....*snicker*....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
At our big shoots, we have smoothbore matches and I've seen lots of high scores that someone with a rifle would be proud to turn in from 25 and 50 yards... and like Dick said, this is without a rear sight!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
All joking aside,anyone who can shoot a smoothbore that well has my respect....

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement. I've been leaning smooth bore for awhile and it's right now on the edge of teetering over full bore. Heading to Dixon's Fair this Saturday for more inspiration. Big Grin

Factor
posted Hide Post
I predict a raging case of inspiration!!!

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
You betcha Boartooth!