MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Finished up my brothers Hawken
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished up my brothers Hawken
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
My dad and I were thinking what to get my brother for Christmas and I came up with the idea. Lets rebuild his old CVA Hawken.

In the end, He got a new stock and a new .54cal 1:48 twist 28" barrel. I did all the work as usual on the rifle. Fully bedded tang, forearm, trigger plate. Browned the barrel with LMF browning solution, Knight red hot #11 nipple and then blacked out the brass with bras black. Let it rub off naturally in the heavy use areas and it will look like nicely aged brass.

Truoil finish and the stain used was Dixies antique gun stain. I think I did 2 or 3 coats of the dixie stain and then followed up with 1 or 2 coats of birchwood casey walnut to tame the red down. I really like the way it came out. My brother says hes going to hate hunting with it.

Posts: 22 | Location: Boncarbo,CO | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It looks real nice. Good job!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
What Rancocas said

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow,that looks good....I'd be proud to hunt with that....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Curious to hear how it shoots. Please keep us posted.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Nice job sir. And a good choice of caliber for a hunting gun.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks good, hard to believe it started as a CVA!!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
A very nice rifle.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
Fully bedded, this rifle is going to be one terrific tack driving monster.

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post