Find
Notify
Tools

Sights and vision
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted
I've recently been widening rear sight notches on my rifles as it becomes more and more difficult to aim. After a disappointing outing with my SMR I opened the notch up a bit and will likely need to open it a little more. Then a more recent range trip with my sweet shooting .50. At 50 yards I just couldn't see well enough to make a decent group. There is a 12" gong at the 100 yd berm that is hard to make out after it gets shot too much. The club does keep a spray can of black paint just for the gong. I sprayed the gong with a good coat of paint and went back to the shelter/benches. I fired three shots at this, now very visible, target gong and could see the hits easily. At the berm I measured the 3-shot "group" which was a satisfying sub-5" spread. That's the difference between seeing the target well enough to align the front sight. In the past - when I could see - a 5-shot 3.5" group at 100 yards was the best I could do; So 5" ain't too bad. I widened the notch but will have to range test it again. Yeah, I know, it's tough work but someone's gotta do it.

The .50 is the 4th one up from the pistol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hanshi,

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I understand your situation. For my .50 deer rifle, I acquired a new rear sight that had a blank but taller leaf than the original. Then I drilled a hole in it. I filed and shaped it to resemble the original sight (but with a ghost ring instead of a notch). One has to look closely at it to see that it is not an original style rear sight. Imagine a ghost ring but in the rear sight. Strangely, this improved my shooting capabilities immensely.

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Man, you have some nice toys, Hanshi... Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Boartooth.
I like the idea of a ghost ring peep. I have them on a few cartridge shooters and love 'em. Just thinking on the how, where and what.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I would be happy with a five inch group capability at 100 yards. That would mean that my ball was hitting within two and a half inches n whatever direction from my aiming point. I'm good with that. I don't have the same criteria for accuracy with my BP rifles as I do with my match service rifles. No reason for me to.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly McDowell:
I would be happy with a five inch group capability at 100 yards. That would mean that my ball was hitting within two and a half inches n whatever direction from my aiming point. I'm good with that. I don't have the same criteria for accuracy with my BP rifles as I do with my match service rifles. No reason for me to.

Shooting with a scope is easy-peasy; a bit too easy-peasy for me. That's the reason I switched to revolvers for hunting and shared time with muzzleloaders. Then going on 20 years ago I switched exclusively to flintlocks for deer and a little later for small game as well. I have three scoped cartridge rifles that consistently group 1/3" to 3/8" at 100 yards. Haven't fired them in a long, long time though. Those three are a .22 Hornet, .250/3000 and a .350 Rem Mag.