MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Pistol primer nipple adventures.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol primer nipple adventures.
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
A couple of weeks ago I bought a T/C Renegade .50 and it has one of those old nipples that use small pistol primers instead of #11s. Not a single local store or the nearest Bass Pro shop had any. I tried getting the insert out so that I could use a regular nipple but it wouldn't budge. I finally asked one of the guys at work that I knew that reloaded if he had any. He said that he would bring me a few but didn't want to sell me any. So the other day he brings me 5 primers so that I could shoot it a few times. The rifle shot good and the only issue I had with it was the part that held the firing pin didn't want to come off if it had the least bit of fired powder in the threads. I had loaded the gun for the 5th shot and dropped the primer on the ground while trying to put it in. Looked for a few minutes and couldn't find it. I got out the ball puller and stripped the ball when I tried to get it out. I have a homemade puller at home, so when I got back to the house got it out, screwed it in and same thing again stripped it out with it as well. I shined a bore light down the barrel and you could see all the way through the ball. I took my ramrod and jag and beat down on the ball a few times and tried again with the ballpuller, this time it came out without a problem, it was unreal how deformed it was but at least the gun is unloaded and clean.

So now I just get to wait until things calm down on the ammo front and can hopefully find small pistol primers so that I can shoot it again.

Over-the-log shooting, the second most fun you can have laying down.

Posts: 64 | Location: Volunteer State | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I kmow it doesn't help you with wanting to shoot that piece right now,but I've been seeing reloading components dribbling back into the stores around here,picked up a 500 pack of small pistol primers at Big R a week ago....did you try penetrating oil to free up that nipple?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with that nipple on the Renegade. Any chance you can match up the threads and replace it with a conventional percussion nipple?

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Get a hot shot or other standard 1/4"-28 thread nipple and use #11 caps.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post