New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon Triple7
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I have a container of Triple7 that I've had for a long time. I don't even remember how or where I got it from. I've never used Triple7 before and would like to know a little about the stuff before I use it. I might be wrong but I think I read somewhere that Triple7 burns hotter or has a higher combustion rate than Pyrodex or Blackpowder and when working up a load to keep this in mind and use less then you would for your normal load. Is this correct? I really know absolutely nothing about Triple7. I would like to learn a little more about the stuff before I use it. I usually use Pyrodex RS in my muzzleloaders and always have pretty good results. I would use real Blackpowder except it is next to impossible to find here where I live. As far as Triple7 can anyone give me some advice, thoughts, or information on the stuff plus what are the pros and cons on using it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 12 March 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Never used the stuff, but never heard anything bad about it. Cleanup is supposed to be easy, and Triple 7 isn't considered as potentially corrosive as
pyrodex.

Take a look at http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html for Hodgdon's advice on loading.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thankyou, SCLoyalist. The website you posted for me to look at answers all my questions and concerns about using Triple7. I now feel comfortable about using it. My normal load is 70 grains for 50 to 100 yards with Pyrodex RS. My 50 cal. GPR likes this load and produces excellent accuracy. Since the Triple7 burns hotter I will reduce my load to 55 to 60 grains and see how my GPR likes it and I will work up or down from there. I will let you know how she shoots. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Let me add just a couple of comments. I got a couple pounds of Triple 7 when it was introduced. My first try with it was in a flintlock to see how it worked. The new Triple 7 would fire in a flintlock but not with the consistency of ignition needed for good shooting. Then I tried it in my percussion .54, the rifle called "Three Aces." In that rifle the Triple 7 ignited just fine but while my rifle's sights were set for black powder, shots with Triple 7 went very high. Because I couldn't use Triple 7 interchangeably with black powder, I chose to stay with black powder. However, if I was going to use the substitute propellants in muzzle-loading percussions, I think Triple 7 would be my choice. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional comments. I plan on going to the range this weekend and I will let you all know how my GPR shoots using the T7. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Cowboy, Go for it. I'll be interested to see your report. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,too bad someone can't come up with a substitute that is reliable in a flintlock.The Holy Black is so hard to get these days....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post