New
Find
Notify
Tools

$40 Flintlock
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
A week or so ago, I stopped by a local pawn shop and ran across a flintlock for sale, marked $50. I inquired about it, and was told that was a wall-hanger only, as it no longer shot. The first problem was that the cock fell too slowly. The original owner even tried to remove some wood on the outside of the stock in order to keep it from binding, to no avail. The other problem is that it would no longer fire even if the prime went off. So, it was as good as useless. I offered them $40 cash. We had a deal.

It’s an old Cabelas flintlock made by Investarms. I slipped the rod down the barrel, and it stopped about a dry ball’s height shy of the breech. Okay, so failure to fire looks like it was easily remedied. I pulled the vent liner off, and sure enough, everything was now free and open into the barrel.

Pulling off the lock revealed why it wasn’t working properly as well. It was completely packed with some kind of dried gunk, as if it was originally coated in grease that had dried in place. Several rounds of solvents, water, and a whole lot of scrubbing managed to get everything back into working order. A careful inspection showed no sign of wear, and the lock held tightly in half cock.

Once reassembled, I replace the sawn flint in the cock with a good knapped one. The cock now throws rapidly and the pan is showered with sparks.

So far, I have only managed to bore sight it in, but I hope to get it to a range soon to work up a load and dial it in as well as possible.

Yes, it is a factory gun, but it is now a flintlock that is back in working order. And in my opinion, factory guns that fire well make for good trainers.

I already have all of the .50 caliber factory flintlocks that care to have, so now I am looking for a good home for it. I’m thinking about donating it to a local Trail Life USA troop that likes to try and wear my guns out.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 20 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
It's always good to hear about an abused or neglected gun being rehabilitated.

Good find, Paul! I'll say you got more than your money's worth.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good find, Paul! I'll say you got more than your money's worth.

I agree.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I almost felt like you had nursed an abused child back to health.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Good show, Paul. It sounds like you are in a good position to bring those kids into the hobby with a good foundation.....All I can say is that I wish I'd been able to hang around someone like you when I was a kid.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Excellent find Paul, and good on ya for thinking of others. Speaks well of character. I mentioned it within the intro, and I’ll say it agin, this here fire is my favorite and it is because of those that frequent here. Good, honest, reliable characters.
Good job Paul on the repair of a fine shootin iron as well as your work with the kids.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
The GSA and AHG troops in the area aren't interested, and the BSA no longer allows flintlocks. The local TL-USA troop is interested, and is trying to figure out the best way to store it.

I plan on working up a load for it either this weekend or next.
Strictly to help out the future owners, of course. Big Grin

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Its too bad they wont allow anymore, them kids wont know what their missing.
I wonder about this world sometimes.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I finally took the gun out for a test drive. It seems to like olive oil lubed ticking over 70 grains of fff pushing a .490 ball. I don’t particularly like the sights, but I could hold a 6 inch group with it at 100 yards.

The gun had only one misfire the entire time, and that was completely my fault.

At the end of the session, the flint looked as fresh as the moment I put it on, so it seems to be easy on flints.

Overall it should be a good gun for its new owner, and I’ll offer them some free training if they are new to flinders so all goes well.

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I could hold a 6 inch group with it at 100 yards.

THAT will hunt! Big Grin

One of the "silver linings" of the drop off of the traditional muzzleloaders among the masses are the bargains that come to the market at the pawn shops and yard sales, and even an auction house or two.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
*Ears prick up with interest*

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good job, Paul. Enjoy. Smiler

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hope you find a good home for it. We over here try to promote the use of flint and match jim

A gun without hammers, looks like a spaniel without ears
King George v

Posts: 29 | Location: staffordshire england | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yes, factory guns make good trainers, loaners, and hunting rifles. It's one thing to drag a factory gun through the forest, over fallen logs, up or down steep slopes, or over rocks. It's one thing to ding a factory gun but something altogether different if it's an expensive custom rifle. One time on a hunt, one of my factory guns took on a pickup truck. The truck won, it's a long story and exhaustion was part of the equation. A mistake never to be repeated.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post