MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Middlesex Village fusil de chasse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Middlesex Village fusil de chasse
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Anybody have any thoughts on these guns? I am looking for a smoothbore "gun for all seasons" and saw these online. I know I would strip and stain the wood and do a few other things to it. I have to face facts. At 47 years old I can no longer focus on the sights on my rifle.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Middlesex Village Trading Company is going through some tough times right now. They reduced their staff to just the owners, and filling orders in what some call a "timely fashion" has been problematic, according to some opinions posted on the internet. Otherwise the guns of theirs that I have seen have been fine.

I just bought a Loyalist Arms Early British Trade Gun in 20 gauge at the beginning of the year. The wood to metal fit was fine, BUT it's not walnut nor maple, and the barrel is pretty thick, so it's a bit heavier than you'd find in a custom or semi-custom smooth bore. I modified the stock at the muzzle so I could get a better grip on the ramrod tip (especially with gloved or mitted hands), and then I painted Eeker the stock with oil based paint. I looked up some reproduction trade guns with painted stocks, took the color image to the local paint store, and had them whip me up a quart of oil paint in the same color. So far I've taken 4 squirrels with it, no worries. It came in ready-to-fire condition.

This is the fourth LA gun that I've bought, and I still own three of the four. Yes they are from India, and yes folks poo poo these, but so far what I've gotten looks good and works great. I could venture a guess that their fusil de chase would be a good gun too.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
The test of the pudding on an India gun (so I've been told) is that assuming it comes with a vent hole, and if it don't blow yer hand off the first time you shoot it, then you probably have a good one. You probably have a good one Big Grin

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
In the past 20 years, of the three India origin flintlock musket dealers that sell them ready-to-fire, Loyalist Arms, MVTC, and Veteran Arms, there has been one and only one problem with a single barrel, and that barrel split without blowing off anybody's hand. You have a better chance from the reported accident data, of blowing yourself up with an inline than from a flintlock musket from one of the above companies.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of markinmi.
posted Hide Post
Ive owned 2 long guns from Middlesex and 1 pistol and would still have em but I have to sell in order to buy something else otherwise I would keep em all. I double loaded my 1717 ,pert near knocked me down but held the load fine, Dave how about a pic of that painted English gun of yours? I'm the one on the other board asking how you like it.

Posts: 625 | Location: North of Detroit Mi | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have a Middlesex Village fusil de chasse and have been very happy with it. If India-made guns were as dangerous as some folk think, the personal injury lawyers and the firearms victims would own all of India by now. graybeard

Posts: 31 | Location: west michigan | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mark, I wish I could get photos to up load on this forum...and on Traditional Muzzleloading Forum. I may have to ask my teenage son what I'm doing wrong.

As for my liking it...well I've taken four squirrels with it, and that was in a single afternoon..., so it IS a little heavy but I will keep it I think.

LD

Booshway
Picture of markinmi.
posted Hide Post
Well ,I wont need to look for a tradegun or sell the bess to afford one.An old friend gifted me a caywood game gun, He had always said he wanted me to have it when he was gone, but he decided he wanted me to have it before he goes I guess. I never even told him I was thinking of getting a smaller trade gun.
?ber tg.

Posts: 625 | Location: North of Detroit Mi | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Friends like that are truly rare.A suggestion,if his health is such that he needs help getting around,you might try to arrange to take him to a shooting session so he can see you appreciating it.Or not.My words are just so much air....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Boartooth,

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markinmi.:
An old friend gifted me a caywood game gun,.

Generous, indeed. I have a Caywood English Game gun (rifled .62, 32" barrel as I recall). The lock is the best sparker I've got. Keep in mind that Danny Caywood is a big advocate of external coning of the flash hole. Until I learned to modify my pan priming technique to make sure some priming powder went into the "mouth of the cave", so to speak, I was getting a high percentage of flash in the pans. After I changed my procedure, don't recall a FITP. Of course, fitting a White Lighting liner is also a possibility. Enjoy your new acquisition.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post