MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Johnathon Browning Mountain Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Johnathon Browning Mountain Rifle
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted
Well boys, just got to tell ya’ll this little story...
It seems a very good friend of mine work out a deal with a co-worker of his involving modern hunting rifles, and through this deal came a .50 Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle, unfired. It seems the history of this gun is that the co-workers father owned it as a mantle piece until he passed several years ago, and it has been sitting since. Now my good friend has asked me if I would like it as he is not interested. I have pictures and my friend is going to check the bore to ensure it truly is in great shape, and if so I will become the proud owner for the sum of $400 Canadian (likely about $56 American, lol).
If someone can tell me how to post pictures I will do so, but not interested in a subscription service.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Walkingeagle, you're getting a seriously awesome rifle. Never owned one but did drool a bit way back. I have trouble posting photos just like you do; so I can't be much help. But congratulations on a fine acquisition.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Walkingeagle!

Ifen ya don't want thet deal, send it my way!!

That is a very GOOD price for a Browning as most that are being sold (by those that know what they have) for around $1000 TO 1200us used.

Occasionally, I've seen them offered for as little as $125 at suppository gun shows by folks that didn't know what they had! "Oh, it's just an old front stuffer I got in trade somewheres. Don't know much about it."

I have a 54 that I picked up at a garage sale price of $150 back in 1986. One of the best buys I ever made.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Way to go,Walk.Is that Johnathan Browning as in John Moses Brownings' Father?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Not sure there ‘tooth, sorry.
Anyhow I was visiting with a friend last night and we were talking guns and hunting (of course), when he mentioned that someday he is going to get a traditional ml and hunt with it. I told him about the mountain rifle and mentioned he should talk to our mutual friend about a price, and that he could have it instead of myself. Long story short, he texted instantly and they worked out a deal, and he will be taking this rifle.
Sounds like he is pretty excited to do some shooting this summer and hunting this fall with it. Already planning a trip for us, lol.
In the end, I would rather bring another into the fold than hoard for myself.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thats the way to do it, Walkingeagle. Now, teach him well.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That's called setting a good example...Good on ya,mate.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
'Eagle, I would like to commend you, as well. Kudos! El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Boartooth,
The Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle was a half-stocked, plains style, caplock rifle sold by Browning Arms Company for a few years. They were very well made, and sported (iirc) a ram's horn shaped around the nipple bolster. An unfired one for $400 that hadn't rusted where it sat..., would be about 1/2 what it would go for at an auction house.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ahhh,I guess they must have named it after the Old Man.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
John Moses Browning was born in 1855. By adulthood the cartridge era was well along so it’s a good guess it was Pa.

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post