New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning your muzzleloader
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Well cleaning your ML can be sometimes a challenge! But my question has to do with oiling or lubricating the bore when it is clean and dry. I know there is a lot of controversy regarding the use of Bore Butter or WonderLube but I have never had a rust issue when using these products. Yes I do realize that Colorado is a much dryer state than others so no rust! I sometimes use Balistol or even Remoil but I do know that petrolium products and real black powder don't mix ! But when using a traditional grease often times the patch comes out black and dirty. Not all of my ML come out this way, but some! Has any one else experinced this problem with there guns?? And why do you think this happens ? Thanks for your help with this confusing problem.

Posts: 8 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I clean it with hot water and a few drops of Dawn dish soap and oil the bore with a patch lightly oiled with Ballistol. Never a problem. I shoot patches greased with olive oil and bee's wax.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I, too, clean with warm water and dish soap. I then run a damp patch of rubbing alcohol down the bore to help displace the water, then a dry patch or two, or three. I follow up with a patch containing Bore Butter. After the bore is cleaned and oiled with the Bore Butter, I then take the same patch and rub the Bore Butter over the outside of the barrel and all the metal parts.
Never had a problem.
When getting ready to shoot again I first run a dry patch down the bore to pick up what Bore Butter may have settled into the breech. Snap a cap or two, or pick the touch hole, and I'm ready to load.
My only complaint about Bore Butter is that it is hard in the winter and melted and running during the summer.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your suggestions but my real thought was why, after a clean dry bore, the grease comes out black on the greasy patch? When using a petroleum products, not so ! Just seams weird to me !!

Posts: 8 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking that there is a chemical reaction between the barrel metal and the bore butter ! When I do wipe the bore with a modern solvent a few times, I get a clean (but oily) white patch. And like I was saying only on some bores. Does any one think that my ML bores are not as clean as I think they are ??

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I clean with tap water, dry thoroughly and use Barricade in the bore.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I don't get a black patch, mine come out gray brownish. I think it is rust, or left over interaction between the burning powder and bore metal.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
After my guns have been cleaned and put away for a while, I wipe the bore with a dry patch when getting ready to do some shooting again. The patch usually comes out with a reddish brown stain.

Long ago a more experienced muzzleloader told me that the stain is simply a sort of oxidation of the Bore Butter. So, I have never worried about it. My gun bores seem fine. No rust that I have noticed.

Maybe I should do some experimenting by putting some Bore Butter in a small section of pipe, let it sit for a week or two, and then see what it looks like with I wipe it out.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an interesting 'speriment......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I use to use various gun oils in the bore and they worked just fine. But it required an extra step of cleaning out the bore again in order to get ready to shoot. I found Barricade did an even better job, in most cases, and nothing left inside the bore. Barricade dries and needs no "removal" for shooting.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
After I clean mine I then use Royal Purple Gun Oil, this stuff was designed for the Navy to use on those big guns at sea with all the salt air and moisture. I tried some of the stuff and I can go 6 months easy with no rust what so ever and I keep my rifles in the basement. I've tried all sorts of cleaners from water and soap to what ever and nothing compares. Just wet a patch with the gun oil and coat the barrel inside and out along with the internals of the lock and your good. I won't use nothing else.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Now that is an interesting testament.....I may give it a try.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deadeye:
After I clean mine I then use Royal Purple Gun Oil, this stuff was designed for the Navy to use on those big guns at sea with all the salt air and moisture. I tried some of the stuff and I can go 6 months easy with no rust what so ever and I keep my rifles in the basement. I've tried all sorts of cleaners from water and soap to what ever and nothing compares. Just wet a patch with the gun oil and coat the barrel inside and out along with the internals of the lock and your good. I won't use nothing else.

Never heard of the Royal Purple before. Will have to try. But, I cannot find Barricade in gun shops, no one has ever heard of it.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deadeye:

Never heard of the Royal Purple before. Will have to try. But, I cannot find Barricade in gun shops, no one has ever heard of it.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
There used to be a product called Shield that I loved for my smokeless applications. It disappeared years ago....I've looked for Barricade but never was able to find it. Gonna look for that Royal Purple....

Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Guys, I've always had to order the RP Gun Oil, I haven't been able to find any on the shelves around here but the stuff works great. Order lots of the stuff, it works great for other things too.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Do you have a link to a site that makes it available?

Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, I found out the Royal Purple Gun oil is no longer available BUT you can get Royal Purple Synfilm Lubricant in a 2 oz bottle that's just as good. You can get this from Summit Racing under part number 02514 or Jegs with the same 02514.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
There used to be a product called Shield that I loved for my smokeless applications. It disappeared years ago....I've looked for Barricade but never was able to find it. Gonna look for that Royal Purple....

It's my understanding that Shield was renamed Barricade some years ago. The authority was "someone". And, of course, "someone" is the best authority on everything. Wink I ordered some Barricade from Amazon yesterday but it is out of stock. They will send when available. About $8.00 including shipping for the 10 oz. can.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Now to find some....