New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning your muzzleloader
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Years ago, after reading Ned Roberts book "The Muzzle loading Caplock Rifle", I took a special interest in his results for a good long term bore protecting product.

He used RIG grease and found his bores were kept in mint condition even after many years in storage. I have been using RIG and have had the same results even using it for short term protection. Just wipe an alcohol soaked patch down the bore before loading.

Never had any issues with rusty or discolored patches from using RIG and it is very inexpensive and a small can lasts a long time.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Some folks are now using a mixture of Two parts ATF fluid, with one part STP and one part Kano Kroil, instead of RIG #2. Midway USA currently has RIG 2 in stock.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
HMMMMmmm.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I'm new here but I'd like to throw my two cents in regarding lube/bore protection.
I've been a stone cold believer in Ed's Red since I come over to the Dark Side sometime in mid to late 1960's.
I've tried a lot of things because of something I read here or there, but nothing has beat it so far, plus I probably have enough left to last another lifetime, so that's what I'll keep using.
Respectfully, Russ...

Posts: 1 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Uncle Russ, I've never heard of that product. Where might one look for that?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have used Lehigh Valley lube. never had a rust problem even after shooting my gun and not cleaning it for a couple of weeks. Used it for lubing paper cartridges foe my smoothie and get about 15 shots before feeling any resistance when reloading.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Boretooth

Try http://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html for Ed's red cleaner.

doggoner

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 31 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Boretooth

Here are some more homemade "goodies" for us gun nuts. http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

doggoner

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 31 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
doggoner, thanks guy. this is good stuff.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
You're welcome BOARTOOTH. Yes, old dogs can correct themselves. I type with two fingers and one of them is dyslexic. I don't know which one it is. So---

doggoner

Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol, my whole brain is dyslexic....Lol