New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another new TVM Rifle.
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Though I am new to this Board, I've been a Blackpowder shooter for years and A flintlock lock rifle shooter since Mike N. Let me shoot his Flinter, which was 12 years ago or so. I already shoot A TVM Leman rifle in .54. But I wanted A small game rifle In .40 cal. as I didn't want to go smaller than a .375 ramrod. So after selling my AR15 For a tidy little profit, I had enough money for a Tennesse Rifle in .40 cal. With a Rice 42 inche barrel and a Durs Egg lock (so I only need one size of flint around), a double ended patch box. even a thumb inlay with my initial. Now I just have to wait 6 months. I guess i should order the bag mold now so I can jump on the bullets.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Sounds good...and yes, the wait will be tough.
I have a .40cal Late Lancaster that Matt built...love it.

Just a thought...but until you actually get it and are able to try some different size ball and patch combinations at the range to be certain which size ball might work best...the size mold you buy now might not be the best size in the end.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
congratulations on the new rifle. I ordered a southern rifle from TVM in 40 cal. I ordered mine in Oct. 2012 so I'm still waiting. I agree with roundball about the mold. I have ordered .389 and .395 balls to try before buying a mold.

Posts: 90 | Location: WV | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
A thumb inlay with your initial. That wouldn't be an "R" would it? I just had to ask... And for a .40 caliber round ball, I've dropped down to a .390" in my .40s and that is performing very well for me. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I love my TVM Leman(suggest by Mike N. of course). Those folks do incredible stuff. My Leman is a .40 as well and extremely accurate. I too use .390"! Congrats you won't be disappointed!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Well Mike, actually its initials But yes R is certainly one of them. As too the round ball dia, I certainly want good accuracy but I don't want to fight the bullet down the barrel. the joints in my hands just can't take it anymore. I think a snug patchs 'evenly' Lubed will do the job . My own experiance has shown that to be vital Just as Ned Roberts said it was, though he only devoted half a page or so to the subject of patched round balls. I should get the rifle in August or so and thats when the weather here in Western Wa. in likely to be nice So I will get some different dia. balls just to see what happens. I might get my rifle sooner if you fellows could see fit not to bother those folks at TVM until they get my rifle done. Your cooperation is appreciated. Thank you.

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
And as another reference, I started out looking for a Hornady .390" on the basis of the ".010" under bore size rule of thumb".
But Hornady didn't make a .390"...made a .395" so I tried those and my GM shoots like a laser with them using .018" pillow ticking. Can't thumb start it but it doesn't take much of a palm on a short starter to get it in.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Well, it's been awhile, infact very close to a year since I ordered my rifle. but the rice barrel has finely been delivered and I might get a very nice Christmas present. I have made a pouch and horn, cast a bunch of .390 balls, cut and lubed multiple patches and plenty of sharp flints, Man I can't wait!

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Great!!! I like the .40s a lot and hope you do too.

Re ball dia.,I've been shooting .395 for so long can't remember if I tried .390s or not. I recall .400, .401 and .403s worked well but a .395 mold followed me home one day and Momma let me keep it.

Got to where it use .005 under on everything.
TC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rocklock,

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have a nice TVM .40 and shoot .390" home cast ball with .024" ticking patches. I got it six years ago and Matt did a splendid job; my initials are on a thumb piece inlay. it redefines "accurate". Can't shoot it for the present as it has developed a trigger problem and I haven't gotten off my duff, yet, to try and fix it.

TVM and Mike Lange are currently the two best builders quality/price wise.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my TVM rifle and two of my friends have purchased rifles from TVM as a result of shooting mine.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
With a Rice barrel I was told to shot .005 undersize balls. I have a Rice in 54, 50 and a 40 and shot balls that are .005 undersize in each with very good results. Patches are about .013 + or -.

Posts: 40 | Location: Forbes Road, Loyal hannen | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Roy, Let us know when it comes. Then come out to the Evergreen Muzzleloaders' January match to shoot it. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Well, I will sure bring it to the range when and if I ever get it. I thought I might get it for Christmas but no. which means I wont see it until some time in January, one year after I ordered it. It really is quite frustrating.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I am sure they are very busy and Rice's Reamer supplier Is really the cause of the extra 6 month wait. I just haven't looked forward to something-anything, for a very long time. Sure will be sweet to finally get. Unless UPS looses it or breaks it.

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RamRodRoy:
Unless UPS looses it or breaks it.
If you're not already aware of this, TVM's standard shipping is (or at least was) just using a long cardboard box...and I've seen posts where rifles have arrived with broken stocks...TVM made them good but it adds additional months delay.
But TVM also let me specify that an additional external wooden crate be added for only another $25 and IMO it's the best $25 I ever spent.
Save them up in the attic or something for the day when you need to re-ship it somewhere, etc.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
posted Hide Post
My TVM came in a heavy cardboard box, but it had a wooden frame, which seemed to provide good protection.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's their 'standard' shipping...and there have been more than one post about a rifle arriving with a broken stock.
Their better shipping is an additional external wooden crate for $25 that prevents that.

Personally, after spending $1200-$1600 and waiting the better part if a year, I'll trade A couple burgers & fries for the external crate.
Others mileage may vary

Hunt Like The Settlers

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John/Pa:
With a Rice barrel I was told to shot .005 undersize balls. I have a Rice in 54, 50 and a 40 and shot balls that are .005 undersize in each with very good results. Patches are about .013 + or -.

If you think one year is long, I've been waiting three years this March, a early Jake Hawkins full stock ln a med to medhigh black walnut, 42 in 62 forsith rifleing.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 18 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
man it is so frustrating isn't it. but not just anyone can build these and make em look right. I am a machinist but that doesn't make me a gunsmith. It's the wood work I can't seem to manage. well at least it won't be much longer. I hope yours is done in time for the summer shooting season. Plus the following hunting season.