New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fowler arrived
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
I received my fowler from TVM a couple of days ago. They did a fantastic job, I couldn't be happier. It has super premium maple stock, 38" octagon to round 20 ga. barrel, no rear sight,Chambers Colonial Va. lock, brass front sight and the aged finish. I got out for a brief range session and am looking forward to more shooting/load development with it. A load of 90 grains ffg,1/2" fiber wad lubed with beeswax/olive oil mix, .600 ball with .010 patch lubed the same shows promise as it is so far shooting into five inches at fifty yard from a bench when I do my part.

Posts: 90 | Location: WV | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Zoikers that's pretty.

You might want to try a .610 ball without a patch, with a wad of tow on top to hold it against the wad... sprue up if it has a sprue.

You might also try a .590 - .600 ball inside a paper cartridge that just slides into the bore without resistance. You have to use a dowel that is sanded down so that your paper, when wrapped around the dowel, forms the proper sized tube. It takes a bit of trial and error to adjust the dowel and the paper, but I have found it gives better groups than patched round ball in a smooth barrel. I use book paper, and a couple of wraps around the dowel to fit, which is why I use a .590 ball. The paper gives you a consistent fit, while patching means the patch doesn't always fold around the ball the same way.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Beautiful weapon. I love the stock!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun!!

I have been thinking of having them build me one. I like their work.
And that stock is wonderful!!

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thank ya'll for the compliments. LD I appreciate the suggestions. During my one brief range session so far I only had time to try the one load with several different powder charges. I was thinking about trying a paper cartridge. Are you using nitrated paper for your cartridges? I still have a lot of experimenting to do and have not even began with shot loads. This is going to be a lot of fun now to find time to do all of the shooting.

Posts: 90 | Location: WV | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You have more important things to do rather than working up loads for that gun. You better ship out to me and let me take care of a those silly little details rather than you taking up your time.

You can get it back any time you wish to drive to my place and pick it up. I just don't trust the US mule or anybody else to transport it back to you safely. Please keep in mind that I'm only interested in your convenience and the safety of your gun. Big Grin

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Those are really fine guns. Except for the metal finish/rear sight your gun is a twin to mine. Using a .605" WW ball and .012" lubed flannel patch I can get 3" to 4" groups at 50 yards. Even with a fiber cushion wad and bare ball (.605" WW) groups generally run around 6" at 50 yards.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
White Finger how is it that you trust the gun being shipped TO you but getting it back I have to appear in person before you Big Grin I am not the sharpest pencil in the box but I think you want my gun Smiler . Hanshi when you shoot bare ball do you use any type of card, wad, tow or anything over the ball?

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Mountaineer, I use a couple of card wads over the bare ball; and the ball itself sits atop a lubed felt or cushion wad. It makes for a quick reload.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good looking gun. I do about the same as Hanshi

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new toy. Your in for a world of fun. Nothing is more versatile than a smoothbore

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet smokpole son!!

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mountaineer: Excellent question and I'm so glad you asked. I'd never want anyone to believe I'm trying to pull the wool over somebody's eyes. No way . What I've discovered over years of investigation, though I haven't any documentation proving this, is that all parcels being shipped west don't get the same unholy treatment as those being shipped east.

Now that is one fine gun and I just wanted to assure you that it is its safety and well being that was first and foremost in my mind.

By the way, if you have several hundred rounds of balls for it, go ahead and send those along too. Having them already on hand would save me so much time. Wink

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun!

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mountaineer,like you,I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box,but I think he's trying to get one over on you pard.....Better Big Grin send it to me......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
BTW,that is one purty piece.....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
White Finger should I throw in some powder and flint as well? Big Grin Boartooth so glad you see that as I do but are you starting the same thing as well Big Grin.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,on second thought you need that piece to help take care of your lovely bride....Aim small,miss small.

Factor
posted Hide Post
No, actual paper on the cartridges. Nitrate would burn and thus not support the ball as it moves forward.

You have the powder in them, and the ball is kept at the closed end by tightening a little piece of twine around the tube on the outside, where the ball meets the powder.

You tear open the cartridge and pour in your powder oad, then invert it, and insert the paper wrapped ball, and ram it home. Then prime and fire.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
LD what kind of paper do you use?

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post