New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kashtucky bow craft
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Anyone have any experience with this builder? I am looking at having a fowler built by him.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Huh?
I had to do a quick search for this. "Kentucky Bow Craft" resulted in "Becoming an Outdoors Woman", among a few other things such as bows (as in ribbons) and a Kentucky outdoors site. I found nothing about any firearms manufactures.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Loper,

I don't have any experience with this maker, but did visit the Kastuck Bow Shop web site. The two gun kits he offers look complete in the assemblage of parts.

Have you compared the price of a similar kit from TOTW or Chambers?

Let us know if you do get the Fowler in the white, final price and overall impression of the work.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Howdy

Here is a link to the website in question: Kashtuk Bowcraft

I understand that Kashtuk is a Tatavium Indian word meaning "eyes," and as a toponym was originally applied to the site of the present day town of Castaic, California. The nearby lakes supposedly looked like eyes. The term "Castaic" was reportedly derived from "Kashtuk." Kashtuk Bowcraft is located in Castaic.

The proprietor's name is Hendrie Javier. I've never met him, but I corresponded with him some about a year ago regarding a custom bow. Circumstances arose that prevented me from ordering at that time, but I still haven't forgotten about it. In any event, Hendrie seemed knowledgeable and willing to work with me to build just the bow I wanted.

He has expanded his line of flintlock firearms since then. I'm impressed. He offers a 1792 Contract Rifle, for Pete's sake... As far as I know, the only other way to get one of those is to order Don Stith's parts set and either build it yourself or hire a custom gunsmith to assemble it. The locks appear to be mostly L&R or Davis. The prices shown are for very basic guns, without non-essential parts, which can be added on at extra cost. However, his prices overall seem more than fair and the guns in the photos look good.

I will say the only L&R flintlock I own, which came on a fowler by Jackie Brown, needed some work. I sent the lock to Brad Emig and it now works like a champ, but it would have been cheaper in the long run to have gotten a Chambers lock from the git-go.

So, I've never ordered anything from Kashtuk, but I've started thinking about that bow again. In my correspondence with the builder, he appeared to be knowledgeable and enthusiastic. His custom gun prices seem somewhat lower than those of other American builders using similar components. He's not well known, but everybody has to start somewhere. My gut feeling is that if he was building a gun I wanted, I would send him the business.

Just one guy's opinion.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
So did you wind up getting one from him? I just ordered one of his 1792 rifles but in a left hand version. While the originals were never left handed the 1792 was basically just a plain Lancaster style rifle. Since I always liked the looks of them a lefty will be perfect. He charges $1550 for one. 60% down and the rest upon completion. Shipping is $75.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post