MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Clsing of last US Lead Smelting Plant.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clsing of last US Lead Smelting Plant.
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
I'm sure you have all head the news of the closing of the last lead smelter in the USA. Anyone want to speculate on what happens to he price of lead balls?

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Probably nothing right now, for the defense and firearms industries need the metal for product. It's actually a National Defense problem for if we get into a serious, protracted war we'll be depending on shipments of lead from other countries.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
As best as I can tell,I guess I'll have enough to feed my ML's for a long time,maybe I will miss the Rush?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
From what I read when it first was announced it's the last smelter processing raw ore but most lead in the US comes from recycled lead now and there are several smelters that work at reclaiming used lead so hopefully there won't be too much of a change.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
they don't need gun control when the "BUG BROTHER" can manipulate the components that are needed, just look at the cost of ammo when we can't afford to buy it they have control.
I'm glad I've been able to hoard several hundred pounds of lead and lots of powder, that will feed my habit for many yeard to come. but what happens to the sport and new blood? we are all pawns in the big game and they are going to get us before we know what happened. read Paul Harvey and his predictions from 1964 and he hit it right between the eyes. Look out were headed for the cliff. Hope we can survive.

Posts: 8 | Location: preston,Idaho | Registered: 30 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Stock up while you can. I'm glad I'm the age I am because the life I've been able to live won't be available for todays young people, and much of where our country seems to be heading I do not want to be part of.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I don't foresee a problem since we will be importing lead from China along with other vital materials.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
The only trouble with importing it from China is, it'll probably contain lead. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 27 | Location: Whg ,West Virginia | Registered: 05 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Don't tell the wackos

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank in WV:
The only trouble with importing it from China is, it'll probably contain lead. Wink Big Grin

Hmmm, you are probably right about that. Hope our gov. doesn't catch on. Cool

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I can see it coming,,,Lead banned cause it is a health hazard or Green Tax because it is toxic,watch them close,,Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.Remember the Spotted Owl,Condor,and the Canada Lynx around here.This could be the first step!!!!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Remember wthe voting initiative on lead ammunition in Califrnia. I haven't heard the ramifications for muzzleloaders.

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
NRA Washington Times: Dec. 2, 2013 MILLER: Obama’s EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
www.washingtontimes.com

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I do not believe the supply will not be affected. Lead is the next precious metal.Look in the phone book,you want to buy gold /silver no problem,,,try to find a source for pure lead,black powder or ammunition right now,,,,
California no lead shot in some areas. This is the tip of the Iceburg.
Remember: Hi I am from the government here to do an inspection,,dont worry what ever I find,this is a Friendly inspection.I'll still respect you in the morning and I wont tell anyone what you did.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
As I recall lead has fluctuated with the market, but not as much as silver or gold.
There's also a very strong anti-lead lobby.