New
Find
Notify
Tools

lube for pacthes
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
I need to make some lube for pacthes. What works best? Right now I have prelubed pacthes with bore butter and like them but is there a better way?

Posts: 81 | Location: Louisville Ky | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
blackie i have used olive oil and balistol with good results i use them in the winter andwonderlube during the summer but there is alot of lubes out there TOTW or LOG CABIN has them in their catalogs good hunting

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
blackie,
crisco works well. As does spit. I have a few tins of bear grease which works real well with my rifles.
Like the idea of olive oil have to give it a go sometime.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
In my experience, Blackie, there are scores of substances - from Crisco, Bore Butter to spit, Hoppes and many more that work. I still use bore Butter and Crisco in the woods but spit, DGW's Black Solve and Hoppes BP lube are among the best with Hoppes being my mainstay. Ask ten people and you'll get ten preferences and you know what; they are all correct.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I think I will try olive oil and maybe crisco if I can catch momma's back turned.

Posts: 81 | Location: Louisville Ky | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Blackie, I've always liked bore butter myself and it has worked good enough to suit me that I never looked for anything else. But there seems to be loads of different options for patch lube as this thread has already shown in a few short answers.

If you're so inclined, you can spend alot of hours trying a variety of "greases" till you find your favorite. Me, I think I found mine in the tube of Wonderlube. Just MHO.

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I started with Bore Butter/Natural lube but summer temps here in Texas make it too runny to use, so I ended up melting what I had left with a little beeswax until I had the consistency I wanted. To thin things out I just warm and add olive oil but you can just start with about a 7 to 1 mix of olive oil to beeswax and pour into an old cap tin. Then you just rub one side of the patch on the lube, load and shoot. It works well for me.

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Bull I like the mix of beeswax and olive oil, and the use of an empty cap tin to store it in. Never found a use for the tins til now. Always like to save money and space by not having to buy something else. Will try that first. But do you find you get hungry after a few shots with the olive oil?

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
For trailwalks and range shooting I have found a mix of 1 part Ballistol, 20 parts water, 1 part Pinesol and 2 parts peroxide lets me shoot all day without having to wipe the bore. For hunting, Bore Butter does the trick, even in sub-zero weather but I have to wipe the bore about every 5 shots. A caution regarding Wonderlube: it is banned at many of our shoots because of a tendency for fired patches to smoulder and start range fires.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 05 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
As a greenhorn and having to order in everything off of the inter-net I think I will have to try a couple of these ideas. Keep them coming. I also have some small tin.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackie:
...... but is there a better way?

What works 'best' depends on the particular gun and type shooting you're doing. I had one gun that shot tighter groups using 1 part olive oil, 6 parts water, and a couple of drops of detergent to make the oil/water mix. Another gun hated that lube. One gun will shoot targets well all day with spit patching (or water, when my mouth gets dry), but that's not something I'd care to leave in the gun all day hunting. From what I've seen, patch material, thickness, and lube are very important factors in overall group size, but it takes a lot of trial and error, and careful note-taking, to find what a particular gun shoots the best with. Good luck. SCL

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Remember the father in the Greek Wedding movie? He was always telling people to use Windex on everything. Well, its great for a patch lubricant! Been using it for a long time after getting the tip about it. Have a great day, Flintlockjoe.

Posts: 45 | Location: Rockland County, NY | Registered: 29 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bull I like the mix of beeswax and olive oil, and the use of an empty cap tin to store it in. Never found a use for the tins til now. Always like to save money and space by not having to buy something else. Will try that first. But do you find you get hungry after a few shots with the olive oil?
Not unless I'm frying eggs while on the firing line. Wink

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I like the mink oil without the silicon.

But I must disagree that if you ask ten people their favorite lube you will get ten different answers. Simply based on reading this thread, I say if you ask ten people you will have 15 or maybe 20 different answers.

I'll fit right in here...in addition to mink oil I have no qualms about using spit on patches, or wonder lube on their pre-lubed shotgun wads.

I would love to see a study that objectively takes about 10 guns and 20 lubes and find how each one does with each. It would be interesting to see how much variation there is between them all...I suspect there won't be much difference. I don't know for sure...that's why I'd like to see the experiment's results.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to make some lube for pacthes. What works best? Right now I have prelubed pacthes with bore butter and like them but is there a better way?

On any ml forum this question brings a never ending series of responses and different gunks for lube. My experience is that the two worst things for lube (and I have tried scores of things) are Crisco and chicken fat. My current lubes are beeswax/whale oil and beeswax/peanut oil. Both are excellent. However, obviously, my small supply of whale oil will not last indefinately.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Many of the lubes mentioned are among those I've never tried. In the woods I use "Bore Butter" type lubes or Crisco but only for one shot, the first one. Though deer hunting is a one shot affair, I use Hoppes after that first shot. Often I've doubled or tripled within an hour or so and the gun will have to be cleaned anyway. If I don't fire it's safe to leave the gun loaded with ball as rust won't be a consideration. They all have they're champions and obviously they all work for someone and at some level.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Laughing Bear
posted Hide Post
Even more free advice (which is probably all it's worth...)

Yo Blackie,

Here are a few of the recipes I've tried. Here in the Great White North, most shoots require water-based "loobs" (This includes spit, which I've used to good effect.) to keep the range from catching fire. Apparently course marshals have found smouldering patches lying around... Go Figger.

I tend to use the "moose milks" at warm-weather shoots to comply with regs, as well, the rifle & trade gun both seem to stay cleaner. But I've had the same formulas freeze to the barrel, making it a bit of a struggle to ram a new ball down there, so I use the "snots" later in the year, or when I'm hunting. Of course, being basically lazy, I tried Trapper's Pure Mink Oil from Track. Works great, except for the ol' smouldering patch thing, and stays slick even at -20C. (Late season cow-elk hunt...boring story for another time.)

These are the recipes and instructions as I received them.

Enjoy.

Stumpy's Moose Juice

A general purpose blackpowder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated if available) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.

Stumpy's Moose Snot

A premium multi-shot between wiping (10+) patch lube stable over a wide temperature range.
SPECIFICALLY designed for use of patched round balls in a loading block

Beeswax 2 oz.
Castor Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat beeswax in a soup can set in a double-boiler. I keep my beeswax in a one pound coffee can and measure out what I need by melting it and pouring it into measuring cups). Add just enough water so the inner can does not begin to float (should be just short of the lube level in the can). Heat the water to a low boil. In a separate can, add the castor oil and Murphy's oil soap (cold). Once the beeswax is melted, swap the castor oil can in the pot of water for the beeswax. Add the beeswax to the oils. It will clump up. Stir with an ice tea spoon as the mixture heats up. When it fully melts there will be a scum that floats to the top and just won't mix in. Be patient. DO NOT COOK THE MIXTURE. Once the solids are dissolved there is no need to heat further. Skim the scum off. Remove the mix from the heat and wipe the water off the outside (so it won't drip into the container when you pour it out). FINAL TOP SECRET STEP: Add a teaspoon of Murphy's Oil Soap and stir vigorously. This last step makes the lube frothy and smooth - really adds to the appearance; though it doesn't seem to matter to the function of the lube. Clamp the can in the jaws of a vice-grip pliers and pour into the waiting tins. Allow to cool a half hour.

Note: it if is a hinged tin - line the edge that has the hinges with a strip of aluminum foil so it doesn't ooze out before it cools.

Fred’s Fantastic Lube

1 Part Cutting Oil
2 Parts Murphy’s Furniture Soap
2 Parts Hydrogen Peroxyde
2 Parts 90% Isopropyl Alcohol
2 Parts Hoppes Number 9 Solvent.

Mix the ingredients together in a bottle, and apply to the patching material as required.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Posts: 61 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 16 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. It is a bit overwhelming. The only thing I have used is the pre-lubed bore butter patch, but I will try some if not all of the mixes.
Great site for awnsers. It is good to be around the fire with you guys.