Find
Notify
Tools

? Russian Trade Musket ?
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted
I happened upon this interesting photo and description, and thought some of you boys might enjoy a look and have some comments: Siberian Hunter's Gun

The description does not give a lot of detail, other than that the total length of the gun is 112cm. This calculates to a tad over 44". Using that known measurement as a constant, I figure the gun has about a 30" barrel and about a 12-5/8" length of pull, although we should allow some margin for error given the angle that the gun is positioned.

Anyway, this worthy firearm, a shootable flintlock, was collected in 1909!

Some interesting features, more visible if you enlarge the picture, are the belled muzzle, and what appears to be a tubular "peep sight" near the breech, even though I don't see a front sight.

In any event, I hope you enjoy a look. I wish I know how to post the picture directly on the forum here, but I'm not that smart.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Also, that appears to be an atl-atl or throwing stick under the shield. Wow!!
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the picture. I'm very interested in old Russian firearms, especially those used in Alaska during the Russian occupation.

Load fast and aim slow

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I am not familar with Russian flintlocks. Thank you for sharing.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I think what you were seeing as an atlatl is in fact one of two skids,or runners for the camouflage shield,you can see the front of the other runner extending in front of the shield partially obscured by the sling.The intent,I speculate,is to aid in moving the shield on a stalk of the hunted beast.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
I think Boartooth may be right about that being a skid or runner.

There were some other interesting and related artifacts on the same website. Here is a "Gun Support" or steady-rest mounted on a single runner or "ski."

This Hunter's Kit shows the powder and shot containers, with some related accoutrements, all hung on a shoulder strap.

Interesting stuff...

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post