MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    smoothbore... or, a funny thing happend in Monroe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

smoothbore... or, a funny thing happend in Monroe
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
I have decided I am a great self-starter... just wish I was a self-finisher. Roll Eyes

I have three rifles in work in the shop and I have very little time to work on them. At any rate... I needed a couple locks to go to the next stage of my builds. So I went to Monroe to get them.

The first place I looked they didn't have them. The second place I looked they had one but left-hand. Frowner

What I did find was a 28 gauge, properly scaled barrel. Considering I had already decided once I finish the ones I have started a small smooth bore would be my next gun... guess what followed me home.

It is about an 1.015 at the breech and .715 at the muzzle. It has a wedding band transition and is 42 inches long.

What should I do with it? suggestions and pictures please.

This will become my primary grouse gun. I am not sure if it is heavy enough in the breech for ball though.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Huntinguy,
Sounds like you picked yourself up a nice fowler barrel but I'm not sure about a grouse gun. I have several here with different barrel lengths and I don't think you are going to be very happy tracking a grouse in cover with a 42" barreled gun. I would consider cutting it to around 36"and making a 3/4 stock. It will be a much faster, and lighter, handling gun when those little buggers come out from under foot. It is probably cylinder bored also and will remain that way if you cut it. You might consider haveing jug choked to an improved modified or modified bore.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
A barrel that long makes grouse shooting very tough. I have tried with a 44-inch barrel 20 gauge and it just gives me an excuse for missing. I was missing with my modern shotguns anyway so I'm not giving up anything, just finding the Tulle more fun. graybeard

Posts: 31 | Location: west michigan | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I had a ball hunting grouse with my 30 inch barrel north west gun last fall. Although I did kill some grouse, it's a good thing I wasn't depending on them to keep me and the old woman fed.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Send some time skeet or trap shooting or at best get someone to throw clays with a hand trap.

How good do you do with a modern 12 ga?

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
If I was you I'd turn it into a nice English fowler. I'm with the others on about a 36" length barrel.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
No doubt the shorter barrel is a good idea... my heart just can't do it.
It doesn't have a hooked breech so, will the english fowler work?
Would that have to be cherry, don't really like walnut.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
In my own uninformed opinion, I'd make a nice, full length American smoothbore. True, it is too long for an upland bird gun (grouse); but it would be a nice squirrel or even turkey gun (plus it would be beautiful). I'd not hesitate shooting ball in that gun. Remember that shot loads weigh more than a ball plus the powder charges are similar. A nice deer gun like that would be great.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
In my equally uniformed opinion, I agree with Hanshi. It would make a beautiful gun.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
In my own uninformed opinion, I'd make a nice, full length American smoothbore. True, it is too long for an upland bird gun (grouse); but it would be a nice squirrel or even turkey gun (plus it would be beautiful). I'd not hesitate shooting ball in that gun. Remember that shot loads weigh more than a ball plus the powder charges are similar. A nice deer gun like that would be great.

"American Smoothbore", so what are we talking here - smooth rifle or some type of fowling piece? Got pictures ? Smiler

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Do grouse fly.....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Ours do....and pretty good at that!...LOL

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Staley:
Do grouse fly.....Smiler

Yes...until they get tired, then they walk. Big Grin

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
'bout like chickens.....So yeah.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post