New
Find
Notify
Tools

Before and after polishing
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I started a lubricant business earlier last year and am now onto my 3rd patch lube offering.

I normally have to sit on the floor or at the bench for an hour or more, hand lapping a barrel with a snug patch with some kind of polishing compound that normally dries out, gets flaky and rips holes in the patch.

As an experiment I put together a shooting lube WITH the break in/polishing compounds needed to safely remove burrs, chatter or even light rust/pitting over so many shots.

I started with my brothers new .54cal CVA Hawken my father and I bought and are putting together for him as his Christmas gift.

The factory barrel wasn't bad, it did have its share of deeper scratches in the bore from the rifling process as well as some chatter marks.

After 12 shots with 80 and 90gr goex 2fg loads

Then switching over to my WELL used (2,000+ shots) .58cal Hawken.

After 18 shots with loads of 20 to 80gr goex 2fg.

I am still doing a lot of testing to figure out how much is to much and when its best to stop using it before switching back over to your normal patch lube.

This seems just so much easier and more effective than doing it by hand as all the pressure the patched ball builds up, will completely fill in the rifling and polish it while you shoot.

What do you guys think? Am I on to something good that will be of good use?

Posts: 22 | Location: Boncarbo,CO | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
IMHO, YES, YES, YES!! I sure encourage you to continue your experimentation and keep us informed as to how it's going. Please don't hesitate to put me on your list of possible field testers. It appears to me that almost any rifle could benefit from this, and given that your idea calls for an 'over time' polishing, what on earth could be easier or more fun than to polish your barrel while you are abusing it? hehe (please note, that last comment was in jest). Not jesting when I say that I'd love to be one of your field testers when that time comes.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a product I ran across when I was involved with CAS.They called the process fire lapping.I don't remember what the actual name of the product was.The process involved coating the bullet with a lapping compound,then firing the bullet as you discussed.With similar results.Sorry I don't have better info.Your product sounds like it would be useful for our application.Please keep us informed of the development.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
This does sound interesting and should have great possibilities.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see some support from the traditional crowd! I know how difficult it is to sell another new patch lube on the market today, but if i felt it wasnt worth a ****, i wouldnt make it, sell it or use it myself. I see the results on rust tests, accuracy so that what makes it worthwhile at trying to provide good lubes.

This is the next barrel in line. When I was younger, I got my first flintlock as a gift from my brother in 2006. A traditions kentucky flinter .50cal and after a couple years of abusing it with bore butter to keep rust off, this is now what I have :evil:

I'll be casting balls tomorrow and running the break in lube through it and taking pictures as the process goes along. I think 30 shots minimum for this one before I check it. I already have my camera cord marked, so all the before pics i have now, Will be shown at the same spot after i run the break in lube.

Posts: 22 | Location: Boncarbo,CO | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Clover lapping/grinding compounds will do the same.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Uncle Snore,how are those lapping/grinding compounds used?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I wipe one side of the patch with the grit size I want and load the RB as normal. Shoot under normal measure of powder.

I then clean the bore before firing the next one do the same for 5-6 shots then go to the next finer grit and do that until happy

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks Uncle.