MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    Ongoing work on my conversion lock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ongoing work on my conversion lock
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted
As most likely know, I built a .50 GPR from a kit many years ago, and tried for years to fall in love with it, but alas you cannot force love and I eventually converted it to a percussion. This was actually quite easy through the use of a drum/nipple system. Just required some precise drilling and tapping to ensure the geometry aligns. I built so it is removable and a vent liner can be installed, then I am back to a flint.
The lock? Well I had already bought a RPL lock in attempt to improve the flint system, so that lock I still retained for the times I forget I don’t like a flinter, lol. The factory lock is still being worked on to accommodate the drum within the pan, and the frizzen has been removed of course. I had scrounged up an old Investarms percussion lock which required some minor forge work on the hammer to make it functionable, and file work to fit the drum, but the fit is not great to the barrel, stock, etc. Thus I keep working on fitting the original flint lock assembly with my forged percussion hammer. I am getting close boys, and she does look quite nice I must say.
I love working on this rifle while watching sports each evening after work! It has been a project for likely 10 years already, in some form or another.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but I think having a rifle that's easily converted to either cap or flint is an excellent idea. I once had a .50 Pedersoli and had both locks for it. I killed deer with both the flint and cap locks installed.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly Hanshi. As a flint she has only taken a brown phase black bear, and missed several mullies. But as a cap...well now, those mullies became very nice chops!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Did you have any particular problems with it in it's flint phase,or just didn't like it?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
That ever so slight delay, even though a mere fraction of a second, coupled with the flash from the pan would not allow me to hold my aim through. I just had to blink (flinch). Very reliable as a flint, I just can’t shoot it.
Walk

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ah! Good to remember....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
A further update kind folk...
My life took that all to familiar twist which so many of us have faced, in one form or another. My twist was that the cancer progressed forcing a long term leave from work, and a subsequent move into the city, into my sisters home in fact. At that time I started to piece out all my firearms to grandchildren, nephews and loved ones. Just a couple weeks ago my brother returned the project at focus of this post, and I have restarted the project once again. I do hope so desperately to hunt with it this fall as a fully completed project. It feels good to once again have a project to focus on. So, as I still had my .54 home (parts) built Plains Rifle caplock, I now once again have my .50 GPR flint to cap conversion project, and am a very proud owner of two fine rifles!!
Will update as the project moves along.
Take care always.
Walk

Greenhorn
Picture of Walking Bear 1954
posted Hide Post
Walking eagle I went through cancer after retiring and I can understand. Prayers out for you. Stay positive

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep that can contest the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 33 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post