New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guns
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
What did you use when you first got started in muzzleloading?

In 1986 I was transferred to Detroit, Michigan and began a new job. New position actually, same outfit.
My new boss was a Civil War re-enactor. I enjoyed talking with him about the guns and other paraphilia of that era. His wife actually hand-sewed his uniforms and her period dresses. She was very good!
Anyway, I borrowed his replica 1861 Springfield rifle to go hunting that year. I used a .58 minie ball to take a spike buck. I was hooked!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Very cool!!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, I try to stimulate a little conversation on this site - but apparently there is no interest.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I think folks are just getting too wrapped up in current events. I'm come to these forums to escape the insanity.....I wish I had things to mention that you folks would find interesting...My garden is still covered with snow, we're still processing squash for long storage, ammunition is so expensive that I don't do much shooting, and I don't have my body in good enough condition to do the walking necessary to hunt. So, I live vicariously through you guys....I do check here on a regular basis, so if you feel like gabbing, I'll see it.
Blessings on your House.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
My first black powder rifle was purchased at a wonderful black powder gun shop in Sullivan, IL Spencer’s Gun Shop. Mr Spencer was such a story teller. He said he was related to the Spencer of said rifles. This shop had a bunch of nice old rifles but I could only afford a kit. A kit kind of like the Investarms Hawkin kit. .50 cal percussion. I was in high school so I spent the time filing and sanding and working on that gun. My dad enjoyed woodworking and gunsmithing so he was always there to help with his advice but I did it all. Made my powder horn and pouch. Took it down to the shop and Mr. Spencer lavished praise while also showing me how his custom gun he built had different shapes here abs there but he was not discouraging in the least.

I didn’t get a deer with that rifle but it was a good shooter. I learned a lot and I was hooked. The cool thing is the people around there that I met in that hobby and the muzzleloading club there were all super positive and encouraging to a young lad. So many were buckskinner types in their full skins and beautiful camps. Going to their rendezvous and shoots are still colorful memories in my mind. If there were only thousands of these same types groups scattered across the US, this hobby would be growing yearly instead af shrinking every year.

Great question and interesting memories. Thank you Rancocos for bringing this up.

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
After that borrowed 1861 Springfield, I really don't remember what muzzleloader I acquired next.
I bought my own 1861 Springfield, but I also used parts from Pecatonica to build a flintlock longrifle somewhere about that same time.
Not having a gun building mentor, that first attempt of mine came out rather crude. However, it did work.
I ended up building a total of 4 rifles from miscellaneous acquired parts. My 2nd build turned out pretty well and it is still my preferred hunting rifle today. It is my .50 percussion TN longrifle.
I also completed several kits. My fowler, I bought in the the white and finished it myself. That one is my 2nd favorite and most used after my TN rifle.
I have learned that I just don't have the patience to go slow and do the necessary precision work for a really fine rifle.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
My first Muzzleloader was a T/C High Plains sporter that i got from Cabela's so i could get in another deer season. I became obsessed with BP shooting so i then bought a CVA .32 Squirrel rifle for small game hunting. Then the bug really took over and I have expanded by muzzle loader collection to include flint locks and percussion guns in many calibers and a few smooth bores. I have slowly thinned out my CF rifles and hand guns to just a few basic ones cause I enjoy the slower process of muzzle loading shooting, and I enjoy my hunting more with my BP guns.

Posts: 20 | Location: SE CT | Registered: 27 March 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty much the same. I hunt the entire big game season with my muzzleloaders. I don't think I've used a modern rifle to hunt with in 20 years.
I tried hunting with a bow and arrows for several years. I had a recurve bow. But I just couldn't take to it.
I'm happy with my muzzleloaders.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
My very first was an H&A Numrich Arms .45 Heritage Model underhammer. I'd day dreamed for a few years about getting a muzzleloader and finally pulled the pin in the mid 1960s. Right from the start I hunted with it; and though it was many years before I killed a deer with it I did a number on bobcats and a few squirrels, etc. I followed that up with a .58 Zouave, a .45 Minuteman flintlock and an 1858 New Model .45 c&b revolver. Back when I started there was no such thing as "sub powders, so I used BP and never have used anything else. Like Rancocas, I sold most of my cartridge guns just to acquire a few BP guns. And it's been decades since I hunted with anything but muzzleloaders. I've used them exclusively the year round, every season.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I bought a the parts for a Lehigh Valley rifle back in 72. Never had the time to put it together. The next one was a TC Hawken in 50 cal.. I only got to hunt squirrels with it, never got a deer. The next one was a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock.I have taken squirrels and deer with it. The half cock notch broke 3 times and after the time I could not repair it any more. Mine was evidently an old model because they didn't make the lock any more. I could not find a replacement that would fit. I then bought a early Virginia smoothbore kit from Jack Garner. I didn't do such a good job putting it together but it shoots. Someone gave me an Ultra-HI pistol without the barrel, the lock comes close to fitting the Pedersoli. I am trying to mount it on the Pedersoli. If it works I will have the barrel bored out to 54 smoothbore. At my advanced age I have more physical problems that restrict my ability to go hunting. I prefer a smoothbore that I can use for both small game and deer.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
My first was a TC Hawken (surprise surprise) .45 flintlock in ‘73. Had all of the issues with lock geometry, frizzen hardness, dawn agate “flints” so moved to a TC Hawken .50 cap lock. Took a small buck and feral hog using maxi balls with it. Got involved with a club, won a 15/16” barrel .45 cal. Got the line shooting bug big time and bought a .50 by 10 Ring Precision. It was a round ball gun but not at all traditional. Won some state championships and National territorial shoots. Saved up and in 1981 commissioned a fine SMR .40 by Tom Gillman of Hot Springs AR. Won some more and saved some more commissioned Tom to build a .40 flinter in ‘83. Shot the flinter almost exclusively then a couple of years ago had Bobby Hoyt bore to to .48 w 1 turn in .48” and .011 grooves. I’ve sold and added to the pile but those Gillman guns are still with me. Parker Hale 1858, couple of smooth bores and pistols. came across a Renegade stock for cheap added a GM .54 barrel, L&R flintlock and Davis triggers, Hawken shop iron trimming for hunting bigger game. The Renegade shoots well enough for match but more lead and powder.

The best part of my travel through this hobby is the friends and acquaintances. Wonderful folks.

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
TC Hawken .50 capper. Bought it used and it sure was purty. Still is in fact, when I decided to build a kit .50 Lyman GPR flint, I sold that Hawken to my brother. He still has it and still hunts with it.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I owned a T/C .50 "Hawken" I bought or traded for, early 1980s, just can't recall which. It was a cap gun and I don't think I had it very long but could be mistaken. Seemed well built and was nice but I never cared all that much for half stock rifles.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Old thread but I'll try anyway. My first BP gun was an 1851 navy by cva I think back in the late 70's. Didn't shoot it much and don't remember much about it. Late 80's wife got me a
TC .54 cal kit for Christmas. Shot it a little and then it sat for a lot of years. I shoot it now every once in a while along with a whole stable of others.

Yours in shooting

Posts: 36 | Location: Yuma Az. | Registered: 16 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I first acquired a TC .50 percussion Hawken in 1973. It is still my favorite TC mainly because it was the first. It has killed mucho deer and been a source of mucho range time fun. That started me down this hobby/expense.

A little old man Gunsmith and friend of the family started me out right with the Hawken. No one other than him knew a darned thing about black powder and muzzleloaders. It sure has been fun for these last 48 years Big Grin

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post