MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Firearms    What do they call that cup on the hammer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do they call that cup on the hammer?
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
What do they call the cup on the end of the hammer that covers the capp & nipple when it comes down? I've noticed some of them are quite large and was wondering if the idea was to keep any spark or flying cap particles out of your eye that way? Remember I'm the newbe

Posts: 56 | Location: Montana | Registered: 06 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I always heard them called a hammer shroud...and agree that they are to meant help contain the cap blast.
Interesting thing I noticed when I hunted with a SxS 12ga caplock back in the 90's, was that when shooting the left barrel with a bare forearm holding up the forend, the cap blast was deflected downward into the skin on the inside of my left forearm...LOL.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've never heard them referred by any specific name but they are there to "reduce" cap fragments. Sometimes they even work.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Many of them have a cut out in the front of the hammer or in other words, a portion of that shroud is removed at the front of the hammer, leaving an excape route for parts of the cap that get blasted away. They are blasted towards the muzzle rather than down. This also makes it so the caps will normaly drop out of the hammer after firing rather than sticking to it.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I do not know what they are called or what they do. I never paid any attention to them just considering them part of the hammer. I know I feel little to nothing on my face when I shoot percussion guns.

Posts: 90 | Location: WV | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think I have heard it called "nose".

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post