New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a smoothbore
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
Well that one got got before I had a reply from the seller!

Anybody got a 20-28 gauge that you would part with? I promise a good home for it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Have you seen this posting over on American Longrifles?
http://americanlongrifles.org/...ex.php?topic=28431.0

It does have a rear sight, but I expect it could be removed and the dovetail filled in with brass if you wanted the gun legal for NMLRA smoothbore matches.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCLoyalist,

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
he has it up over on the TMA forum as well . so i bet he is running the add in alot of places .
real good buy

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I just wish Tip Curtis hadn't engraved his name on the barrel,to me that ruined it.

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately most all of them seem to do it...seems they could at least make them smaller and less conspicuous on a side flat like professional gun manufacturers have always done, but egos being what they are I guess...LOL

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Now if it said Roundball I Might have thought about it! LOL

Factor
posted Hide Post
Roundball, Please explain your comment about the maker's name on the barrel. Hawken and Leman always marked the top flat and so did every other maker that I can think of... What am I missing? Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
not just them Mike , most did .

frankly its not an issue . it can be filled in . takes time but when done you wont even know its there .
but again for the price , your going to be hard pressed to find someone to build it for that

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nesbitt:
Roundball, Please explain your comment about the maker's name on the barrel. Hawken and Leman always marked the top flat and so did every other maker that I can think of... What am I missing? Shoot sharp, Mike
I'm guessing by your reference to Hawken & Leman, you're referring to originals?
And if so, I'll volunteer that my post wasn't clear then.
By "professional manufacturers" I was thinking of every rifle / shotgun I've ever seen made during my entire lifetime.
Sorry if it came across as referring to all past cap and flint long guns too.
But even mass produced T/C Hawkens during the past 40-50 years put their name on the side flats:

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Roundball, Let me speak like a man from the Department of Redundancies Department. I think your generalization is a little too generalized. Shoot sharp, Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Nesbitt,

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My TVM Leman has R AVANCE rather tastefully stamped on the top flat and I rarely notice it and am not bothered by it when I do. I am considerably irritated, however, by the paragraph or so of disclaimers and warnings on the side flats of my two production guns.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've sort of been standing back from this thread; but considering the direction it has taken I'll make a comment about the subject. My hand built guns have either M Avance or M Lange stamped on the top barrel flats. This actually pleases me just a little bit because they both are builders of some renown. I look at these stampings as a visible guarantee of quality. Nothing else in on the barrels. This is consistent with the practice of many famed historical builders.

It is a little annoying to see the lines of "information" stamped on the few production guns I own. I can deal with this, however, since they will not be taken to any juried event or used to establish a persona.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hanshi. I too take pride in knowing who made my weapon, and God forbid, if you ever have to sell one, that name can often determine the value, usually higher!!!! Just saying!! LOL

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
In all respect: My dollars are VERY hard to come by. I have had this money willed to me by my Mother's passing.(wish she was still here) and to pay $1,000 to $1,500 for Someones name,,sorry I cannot justify that.
Guess I'll live out my hunting days on production muzzleloaders.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
You could order a North Star West smoothbore for that amount and they have authentic markings.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
if you were paying for someones name , you would be paying a whole lot more then a 1000 or 1500.
for the gun being shown , your going to pay 5-600 just for parts . . now add in the hours . depending on the maker and how much was done by hand and how much was don with a duplicator . you could be in the 40-100hours .
20.00 and hour would be 800 for a 40 hour week .
or 200 at 10.00 an hour for a 40 hour job .
i would dare say most if us have alot more hours in our guns then 40 so there you are .
. for 10.00 an hour , im sure you could get a person flipping burgers at McDonalds to build you a gun .

<mtnmike>
posted
Larry P just looked at what you were talking about,and I rest my case,,$1,000 for the name Eeker

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nesbitt:
Roundball, Let me speak like a man from the Department of Redundancies Department. I think your generalization is a little too generalized. Shoot sharp, Mike
Not sure what this means but I thought I was pretty clear in my most recent post that I owned it and clarified it...don't know what else you're referring to or looking for

Hunt Like The Settlers

Factor
posted Hide Post
Roundball, You were pretty clear with your post. I wasn't looking for anything else and only meant to say that I don't agree with what you said as something in general. In other words, most makers that I've seen, both of today and yesteryear, do put their name on the top flat. No argument intended. Shoot sharp, Mike

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I have a 16 English double barrel. You'd get twice the value than with a single barrel. Nice gun if you're interested.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post